ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird gear stick issue

Clio 172 ph2,
The problem happens either when accelerating hard with a lot of wheel spin (especially in the wet, doesn't matter if ESP is on\off), or when braking hard in gear, engaging the ABS.
In both cases, I get very severe "bang" noises from the front, massive wobbling from the gear stick, and the transmission will even kick out of gear sometimes.
Happened since I got the car,
Since then I change the engine mounts to vibra and powerflex , changed the engine and gearbox , both drive shafts , coilovers, and that's all I can think of, which could be related to this, and the problem still presents.
Everything related to the mounts has been checked many times.
I took a video showing what happens when accelerating and braking in first, note that it was shot without the vibra mounts, thus the gear stick movement on deceleration.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It's like there's no dog bone lol. How has the dogbone been fitted? Assume the smaller piece bolted upright?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_0889.PNG

It's fitted right, I even bought a crappy replacement dogbone to rule it out .
Subframe is ok, it was on and off a few times since, with no difference to this matter.

Everything was checked thoroughly, the engine and gearbox were replaced by a very good mechanic, if anything was wrong he would have noticed. (Problems were already before the engine replacement.)

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
is the bolt that connect the tripod to the batt mount still in one piece?
mine started banging too turned out to be that bolt had been slitghly loose making the hole in the tripod oval and breaking the bolt.
due to the Vibratechnics there was no sag on that side so very hard to diagnose....