ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight Saving Question??

Chocolate Orange 172
I am off to Santa Pod this Saturday (weather permitting) and racing my mate is his stripped out Saxo VTS and could really do with showing him it's all about Renaultsport Clio's. Would removing my seats, sub and spare wheel (I know it's a bit risky) help me in acheiving my goal? I know the answer is probably YES but I am trying to work out whether it would gain me some time and speed? All comments welcome :)

Dynamique S TCE
Chuck a few bags of patatoes in your mates car when he isn't looking as well, double the benefit!

Chocolate Orange 172
I'd imagine his stripped out VTS will be quicker. Depends what you mean by 'stripped out' though as if its just the back seats it might be closer.

Not the word's I wanted to hear lol, plus if you come to Santa Pod you will see him beat me if that is the case lol! He has completely stripped it, front seats and dashboard still in but other than that everything else has gone!

Think I will just have to strip out as much as I can and beat him on quicker shifts!

Iceberg 172
All that and drop a few psi out the tyres too so they don't spin up as easily!

Remember to top them back up on the way home though!!!

Not the word's I wanted to hear lol, plus if you come to Santa Pod you will see him beat me if that is the case lol! He has completely stripped it, front seats and dashboard still in but other than that everything else has gone!

Think I will just have to strip out as much as I can and beat him on quicker shifts!

I am still tempted to come down depends if James23 up there^ wants to as well though.

There isnt much between a VTS and a 172 anyway so if his is stripped you'll be lucky to beat him.

Chocolate Orange 172
I am still tempted to come down depends if James23 up there^ wants to as well though.

There isnt much between a VTS and a 172 anyway so if his is stripped you'll be lucky to beat him.

Damn it, thanks for the good news lol!

Well I think I will strip out what I can and beat him on better launch and quicker shifts!

I'm thinking about it, text me times etc?

Duffman I think you will beat him if you get a good launch and you've saved as much weight as possible, but it will be very close.

If we're going down I need to remove my seats, stereo etc :p

Leave about 930ish and get there for 11 or should we be there earlier? Duffman what time are you getting there?

Chocolate Orange 172
I'm thinking about it, text me times etc?

Duffman I think you will beat him if you get a good launch and you've saved as much weight as possible, but it will be very close.

Fingers crossed, think it will all come down to driving skill rather than who's got the quicker car!

Chocolate Orange 172
If we're going down I need to remove my seats, stereo etc :p

Leave about 930ish and get there for 11 or should we be there earlier? Duffman what time are you getting there?

I shall be there around 1 mate as I am working in the morning

Chocolate Orange 172
Well it was a success, my mates fastest time was a 15.4 and my fastest time was a 15.3. Was a good day, weather could have been better but happy I managed to beat my mate in his VTS, was VERY close though!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
a mate stripped out his ph2 172 and with rear seats, carpets, rear door cards, seat belts, all trim behind front seats and spare wheel lost 52kgs so yeh thats going to make a difference

Chocolate Orange 172
Like people have said a standard 172 is good for 15.3 and that's pretty much about it, if I had more runs then maybe I could have got it down a little bit more but pretty happy with what I set. Next step is to tune the engine a little and see if I can get into the 14's

Clio 172 Cup
That is pretty close to be fair!
Anyone know what the weight difference is between the two cars standard?

172 cup
I had a vts and people seem to under estimate them! It was pretty rapid. I think they are just over 900kg. I loved mine but got fed up of repairing it !