ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

weight of wheels

Hi Omar,

Just wondering how do we calculate rolling radius?

I am thinking to get 195/45/16 or 205/45/16 for the turini 16".

p.s. i am in australia and we get 195/50/15 in 15" stock 172 mk2.

Trying to find the best combo for 16" turini so i won't notice slowdown.
Maybe the turini 16" might be the same weight as my stock oem 15" wheels.

Cheers,
Kenn.

omar said:
I suppose you wont really notice it too much... but every little helps as they say.

As for the rolling radius - yes a bigger RR means slower acceleration... but again it's a small % : again, you might not notice it.

E91 M Sport
Would a 215/35/17 tyre have the same rolling radius as a 205/45/16? If so, and the wheel itself is lighter (such as an oz superlegga), the only downside would a harsher ride....no loss of acceleration, no crap over-wheeled handling?

Edit: Just worked it out, and the rolling radius is actually less on the 35-profile tyre, therefore giving the impression of a smaller wheel.

Last edited:
  Clio 197
Paul J said:
Omar, did you notice a great deal of difference with the leggras?

Hiya,

Unfortunately, by changing my wheels I did the following:

1) Reduced unsprung mass
2) Widened the track
3) Changed the tyre brand

So, I cannot say what effect the lighter wheels had alone... but my car handles very nicely IMO - very well balanced.

The only other mods I have are lowering springs...

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Cheers Omar, iirc your running them with F1s which would also be my choice for an everyday tyre or dunlops for track, not overly impressed with the standard fitment given cost.

Clio 197
I've only just swapped to F1's...

I had Toyos on my superleggs originally, and they have EXCELLENT grip - but don't drive very well day-to-day.

Have just switched from std 16s with T1-Ss to Superleggera 16s also with T1-Ss. Reduced unsprung weight by 12kg or so. The car is flying at the moment.

Gareth

I found this on t'interweb. Might or might not be true, but it's a popular theory:

"Wheels are rotating mass/unsprung weight. Every 1 lb reduction in rotating mass is equivalent to an approximately 8 lb reduction in static weight. With lighter weight wheels, you will benefit from increased fuel savings, quicker braking, improved tire wear and better acceleration."

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
omar said:
Stock 172 Rims are 17kg incl tyre.

Stock 182 Rims are 18kg incl tyre.

Your rolling radius will be higher with the 205's, but they offer more grip.
Sorry to drag up an old thread guys but I'm on the lookout for some Turinis for my 172.
So a standard wheel is 17kg inc. tyre, that is 68 kg all in. A Turini was quoted earlier at 8.4kg, not sure wether with our without tyre. That is 33.6 KG for all 4 if that does include tyres.
That would account for 34.4 kg of the Cups weight loss.
My question is, is 8.4 kg for a Turini with or without tyres?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cheers Andyman, I suspected as much. Any idea of weights with tyres?

Ph1
To give you a rough idea 195 / 50 tyres weigh about 10kg each so you'd be looking at 19 - 23kg for each Turini with tyre......hope my maths is right lol

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Andyman said:
To give you a rough idea 195 / 50 tyres weigh about 10kg each so you'd be looking at 19 - 23kg for each Turini with tyre......hope my maths is right lol
But this would mean that a complete Turini and tyre would weigh more than a standard wheel at 17kg.

Andyman said:
Nope. Standard wheel with tyre is about 17kg. SL with tyre is about 14kg, so Turini is prob about 15-16. I hear they're very strong tho, compared to the SLs that are apparently a bit fragile.

G

Hi Guys,

Should i get 205/45/16 or 195/45/16 for the turinis? Does it really matter? I don't care which as long as the size which don't offer me slowdown... :)

Clio 197
^^^

On a track - you'd probably feel the difference (sorry if I'm making an incorrect assumption?).

I certainly found an overall improvement - although I did widen the track a little too.

Snotter's
Not saying your wrong just saying what i think,people say you cant feel the difference between a cup and a 172,well surely a slight drop in weight is even less noticeable

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Anyone any idea what specific wheels I've got? It's a Mk1 172, Oz 15" x 7" and runs on Michelin PE2s 195x50x15.
Cheers Rob669.

Lionel Richie
Rob669 said:
Anyone any idea what specific wheels I've got? It's a Mk1 172, Oz 15" x 7" and runs on Michelin PE2s 195x50x15.
Cheers Rob669.

OZ F1's no longer in production i believe