ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight of 16'' steelie vs FF 172 alloy

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Taking inspiration from another thread, how much does a 16'' wheel, say from a Laguna weigh vs a standard 172 16'' alloy?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Or alternatively, a 15'' steelie from another Renault with a higher profile tyre.

ST
Maybe an idea speaking to Matt with the Clio TT, he ran 15" steelies with A539's with quite a high profile on the orange one IIRC....

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Happens that I answered this in another thread.

My 172 was in for warranty work and the dealer loaned me a Megane. I weighed the Megane's spare wheel, then when I got my 172 back I weighed its spare wheel. The Megane's 16" steel wheel with 205 tyre only weighed 1kg more than the 172's 15" mag wheel with 195 tyre.

There is no doubt that you can make a lightweight mag wheel, and some are. But the reality is that car manufacturers put mag wheels on cars for style, not for lightness, and they require them to be durable. So what they supply standard is very little if anything lighter than the equivalent sized steel wheel.