ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wedding Photo's - need some advice

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've been asked to do some photos next year for a friend of a friend :)
Even if this is just a favour for a mate, I want to give it my 110% - and get the word out for my photography too

It won't be a massive wedding, just a close-family function, a few shots at the Chapel and a local country park.
The couple don't want a glamorous photo album either, maybe just a few prints and a CD.

What I'd love to know - how do people put prices on things like that?

More importantly, what lenses would be best for the job?

Thanks in advance
Trev

You want a couple of bodies. I did it with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 (which Ben lent me) and you'll probably need a flash although I didn't use one.

Don't even consider doing it without fast glass and two bodies. If you're going to do it with a kit lens etc, you'd be better off taking a polaroid.

As for price, that depends on how well you know them, how confident you are, their expections and what they've looked at paying a pro (as they've obviously ditched that idea in favour of paying a friend of a friend, so not going to want to pay much)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
We're paying 680, that's for two photographers, and a wedding book with the photos imprinted on to the paper. Sorry travel expenses of 50 quid is included in that.

On the subject of wedding books, those things can cost a stupid amount of money! Absolutely crazy. Like hundreds and hundreds for a book?!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Yeah, you got one included plus a disc but if you wanted a larger one, like coffee table size when spread, that cost...*ahem*...400 big ones.

Obviously, they were told where to go regarding that. Cheek was though, the smaller one, which is the middle sized one we wanted, was 100. They told us that this wasn't available any more but a bigger one was for a small amount more. Aye, 300 quid is a smaller amount!

Ach we're happy with the smaller one, it's only a book as you say.

The one I did I got them a book but I got it from photobox, I made all the pages as their set up is shite but that wasn't that expensive at all.

I'd like to think the £400 one is obviously a lot lot better but this was less than a tenth of that and still looks great I think. That was A3.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Have a D90 with the 18-105 VR lens, Nikon "nifty fifty", a few Sigma's and a Tamron

Also have the D40 body too and SB-600 flash (which I would upgrade soon when funds allow)

The bride has seen some examples of my photos and has said they are great - has me booked lol :D

Ian

Focus TDCi
Honestly, just charge enough to cover your costs - as soon as you start making money from it you become obligated to carry out work to an acceptable standard and if anything goes wrong on the day you won't have the insurance to cover yourself. Much better to do it as a friend and treat it as a learning experience. Just my opinion of course though. :)

As for kit, I'd be looking at two decent bodies and a 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8, plus a fast prime and flash. Or two or three fast primes such as 35mm, 85mm and 135mm or something like that. Obviously you can get away with less, but like I say - things can go wrong.

I'd stick with CDs as well, most companies selling decent wedding albums are company to company only.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just seen the price of the 24-70mm f2.8 :eek: going to have to get more bookings lol

It is an awesome lens though - had a play with one, but then it was on a D3 to be fair :p

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just seen the price of the 24-70mm f2.8 :eek: going to have to get more bookings lol

It is an awesome lens though - had a play with one, but then it was on a D3 to be fair :p

Lol, aiming for that combo myself at some point. :) You can get a Sigma for about £2-300 and there's a few other versions in-between that and the Nikon too. Primes are a lot cheaper if you don't mind using them, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8 etc.

"Navy" N17 TWO
A good prime on the D40 body might be an option for me, and have the Sigma 17-70mm on the D90?

Will obviously test/try different combos all the time now, just getting some insight what setup I should be looking at for this and similar jobs.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My Photographer charged £150 an hour iirc. But as its your first i would just ask for a minimal amount.

Definately 2 Bodies , back up batteries, memory cards. Good bag, he had a nice shoulder bag.

Definately an external flash, but you have to learn how to use it well. Alot of amateurs wash people out of the photos and get it all wrong.

Learn the "must have" wedding shots. The glasses, flowers etc etc

If your on FBook, my official wedding photos are on there...

For Photobooks, i use Blurb. Some Pro's use Graphistudio. But i got a blurb one for my Honeymoon and it was very very well put together.

Make sure you have a plan for the day and what you want to take and what/who they want. Remember you only have a small time frame to take pics, ppl cant be arsed if you are changing ISO they want to smile that is all.

If you can visit the venue before that would be great,

www.blurb.com

lol! Yeh I thought that before I got one. Worth every penny though, it hardly comes off my camera!

I don't think looking at any wedding togs sites and found anyone 'quite good'

They either seem to be awesome, like the guy above^^ or awful and in serious need of lessons.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I don't think looking at any wedding togs sites and found anyone 'quite good'

They either seem to be awesome, like the guy above^^ or awful and in serious need of lessons.

Good to steal ideas etc tbh

Oil Burner
That link has some epic photos. Love the way that all the photos are lit so perfectly. As if he has planned for everysingle shot taken.

I would never have the confidence or interest in doing wedding photography. I would love a go as a 2nd tog on a mates wedding. But the pressure to not have equipment failure, capture certain moments perfectly etc... would play on my mind far too much. Not to mention not having a clue about taking decent people photos. Big respect for good wedding togs.

I could get some cracking shots of the limo arriving though. 1/15th pan ftw.

I agree with Ian, you can't really justify pro fees unless you know you're going to deliver pro photos. Better to treat it as a learning experience and see how you find it.

Weddings are generally pretty stressful, running around, changing light conditions, inside, outside, dark churches / registry offices....and so on.

I shot a friend's wedding earlier this year as a favour, purely covering my expenses....which I certainly thought was fair given my lack of wedding photography experience. This reduced the pressure a little bit but also proved a great learning experience.

With respect to kit - 2 bodies is pretty much a pre-req. together with fast glass (f2.8 really) and flash (plus the know-how to use) i.e. bouncing flash / exposing for the ambient...etc.

Nimbus 197
A fast standard zoom for enclosed space and a fast telephoto might be handy for the candid stuff. It might be worth renting some lenses for the event.

I think some form of off-camera lighting for the posed shots would be useful as well. Other than that, start practising and make sure you know your way around your gear and also the venue. good luck! ;)

if you are using a crop then a 17-50 f2.8 type lens and a fast prime say a 50mm f1.4 plus a flash and you'll be fine.

taking pics of weddings is just the same as taking pictures of people. Pros make it sound difficult to keep their business ;)

just be careful of light, exposure, composition, be organised and you'll be fine.

as for charging thats tough because you've never done it before, its a small affair etc.

I've been asked to do some photos next year for a friend of a friend :)
Even if this is just a favour for a mate, I want to give it my 110% - and get the word out for my photography too

It won't be a massive wedding, just a close-family function, a few shots at the Chapel and a local country park.
The couple don't want a glamorous photo album either, maybe just a few prints and a CD.

What I'd love to know - how do people put prices on things like that?

More importantly, what lenses would be best for the job?

Thanks in advance
Trev

Cupra
Reminds me of this thread over on POTN where somebody dropped a rented Canon 600mm (£7000) lens in a swamp.

2zny8ll.jpg

2j2gcc4.jpg