ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wedding photography (shooting 3/11/2012) tips and advice

vauxhall corsa vxr
well as title really i'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow and after shooting schools for there websites, friends cars, city and lots of others this is my biggest challenge and to say my nerves were gone would be an understatement, any tips or advice would be appreciated.

starting at reg office then were onto goodison park home to Everton fc for pics on the pitch and around the ground

Well on one hand I would say why are you asking the night before but that wouldn't be much help to you ;)

If it were me my best people shots are taken at between 30 - 85mm using a minimum of F2.8 for some lovely subject/background separation.
At Everton FC I suspect more depth of field would be required so the background is recognisable .
Keep a pocketful of sd cards and swap them regularly
Do you have 2 bodies? If so I would keep a 24-70 2.8 (full frame equivalent on one) and a 70-200 2.8 on the other.
Focus on the eyes, keep the shutter speeds up for sharper images, if your camera has the function set a max iso, away you go!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm doing the same thing at the end of this month, super nervous already. Good luck and I hope to read about your experience here.

vauxhall corsa vxr
thanks guys my canon 6d has took the knock, i knew i should of sent it of to canon so im down one body but i can make this work, i have my kit lens, my 70 - 300mm telephoto so im not in the subjects face with the camera i can capture people without them knowing im there which is what i want, no one posing just natural shots and have my 50mm plus filters, wide angle and macro filters, thanks for the help guys and i know it was a late post i think my nerves were just getting the better of me

vauxhall corsa vxr
I'm doing the same thing at the end of this month, super nervous already. Good luck and I hope to read about your experience here.

good luck buddy, all you need to think is i can do this, ill post up as soon as im done and have got all my shots in order

Clio 197
Only just spotted this. Hope the day's going well for you so far!

Probably too late for you, but for I'll type it anyway for people like Sneeks.

The taking the photos part of it, is the easiest part, the more difficult parts are making sure you're where you need to be so that you don't miss the good shots, and getting the guests to do what you want without being "that bloody annoying photographer" that everyone hates. At this time of year, you've obviously not got that much daylight to use, so make sure you get as many of the must-have shots as early as possible. Also, take a couple of off-camera speedlights with you, they'll give you something to use not only when it gets dark outside, but also for the speeches, first dance, etc... I know you'll be doing mainly reportage-style shots, but most couples will expect at least SOME posed shots, such as with bridesmaids/parents/bestman (or bestmen)/etc. Whenever you do group shots, start off with the biggest group, then let people go as they're done, as nobody likes standing around when there's a bar waiting! Also, try not to just have everyone stood in a straight line, most people got bored with that look back in the '70s, so get creative.

Probably the most important thing to remember though, is to have fun. If you look like you're enjoying yourself, people are far more likely to feel the same way around you, which makes it easier to get them smiling in the photos!

Good luck, and feel free to show us a few of your results!

vauxhall corsa vxr
Only just spotted this. Hope the day's going well for you so far!

Probably too late for you, but for I'll type it anyway for people like Sneeks.

The taking the photos part of it, is the easiest part, the more difficult parts are making sure you're where you need to be so that you don't miss the good shots, and getting the guests to do what you want without being "that bloody annoying photographer" that everyone hates. At this time of year, you've obviously not got that much daylight to use, so make sure you get as many of the must-have shots as early as possible. Also, take a couple of off-camera speedlights with you, they'll give you something to use not only when it gets dark outside, but also for the speeches, first dance, etc... I know you'll be doing mainly reportage-style shots, but most couples will expect at least SOME posed shots, such as with bridesmaids/parents/bestman (or bestmen)/etc. Whenever you do group shots, start off with the biggest group, then let people go as they're done, as nobody likes standing around when there's a bar waiting! Also, try not to just have everyone stood in a straight line, most people got bored with that look back in the '70s, so get creative.

Probably the most important thing to remember though, is to have fun. If you look like you're enjoying yourself, people are far more likely to feel the same way around you, which makes it easier to get them smiling in the photos!

Good luck, and feel free to show us a few of your results!

wow mate awesome advice, ive just got home, was a superb day and i had a lot of fun and have got 4 more bookings out of today, i worked hard, my only problem is when i was taking photos after the wedding i found people getting in my way with there own cameras not much hassle like and people apologised but when we arrived at goodison i was bouncing, everything just seem to flow, i know the bride from school and i didn't know the story behind the wedding till the best mans speeches and its a sad story, they were due to be married in rhodes but a week before they were due to fly out her dad passed away then 2 days after that his dad passed, both dads were strong evertonians thats why the had it at goodison. I just hope i done them proud today, once ive gone through the 714 photos ill throw some on here, thanks for the support and advice on short notice

Citroen DS3 DSport
Thanks for the advice Mitch, every bit of info helps. My main problem is I'm inexperienced when it comes to flash photography but I've been working on that recently so hopefully all will be OK on the day.