ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Website Gurus

Arctic FF 182
Hi,

I have recently started a website for my business using gettingbritishbusinessonline.co.uk and have pretty much got all the content I want, give or take but im struggling to make it look good. I think it needs to me made using google as I used gbbo which is a pain as none of the templates aren't very good as far as I can see.

I would like to put a map in it showing the area I cover a bit like this one
hertfordshire-map.gif
anyone know how I can do this?

Also how can I get it so it comes up when people search for board erectors in google? Do I need to pay for this?

The website is www.jbboards.co.uk

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Rav4
Couple of things.

Is this your personal business?

If you are running a business from this, I would like to see info@jbboards.co.uk instead of gmail.com

The design and logo are ok, but need improving I do realise this is your initial stage.

As for the map, are you going to be changing it frequently? Do you want those towns to highlight?

Google sites is ok, but I would consider having something else, like Wordpress.

Good effort though and well done,

G.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Design is ok, logo is horrible. Straight from clipart :| But as said above good effort, maybe invest a little time/money into a logo as branding is key.

Was it free?

• Logo is terrible, as above, looks like a clipart image
  • No SEO at all (to allow people to find you on Google etc)
  • Spelling mistakes
  • Change gmail email address to a company one
  • Do you have a landline telephone number? Looks better than a mobile
  • Doesn't look professional
As for adding that image, just add it to the page? What editor are you using, a WYSIWYG?

Arctic FF 182
Couple of things.

Is this your personal business?

If you are running a business from this, I would like to see info@jbboards.co.uk instead of gmail.com

The design and logo are ok, but need improving I do realise this is your initial stage.

As for the map, are you going to be changing it frequently? Do you want those towns to highlight?

Google sites is ok, but I would consider having something else, like Wordpress.

Good effort though and well done,

G.

Hi,
Yeah this is my business, I started up in July so just starting to get my feet on the ground tbh, the @jbboards.com email is on my to-do list :D

The map I will have to update at some point as I hopefully expand into a bigger area, and yes I want it highlighted over google maps or something if that makes sense, like in the picture I posted, a general map with my area highlighted,

Thanks I will check out Wordpress, will I be able to upload it easily? Im new to this website setup and not sure how it works, at the minute I have got the domain for free for 2 years but not sure what else; would I need to get some hosting if I was to use something other than google?

Thanks for your feedback :D

Design is ok, logo is horrible. Straight from clipart :| But as said above good effort, maybe invest a little time/money into a logo as branding is key.

Yeah it was a clipart jobbie, does the job at the minute and I have some ideas on logo's just need to get some money behind me to fund it :D

Was it free?

• Logo is terrible, as above, looks like a clipart image
  • No SEO at all (to allow people to find you on Google etc)
  • Spelling mistakes
  • Change gmail email address to a company one
  • Do you have a landline telephone number? Looks better than a mobile
  • Doesn't look professional
As for adding that image, just add it to the page? What editor are you using, a WYSIWYG?

Hi,

Yes its free, I done it all myself, I think its a scheme run by the government and BT to try and get businesses online,
Whats SEO? sorry Im new and dont understand lol,
I will go through everything before I start putting the website on any of my paperwork to check spelling etc,
The email address is on my to-do list,
I dont have a landline, I could put my home number but still living with my parents and lots of kids in the house, the last thing I want is for one of them to answer to a potential client, I prefer to be contacted directly, but will look into getting a landline,
I know it doesnt look too good, im just not sure how to make it look better? plain white background? any ideas would be great

Thats not the image I want, I used it as an example, I want a plain map like off google maps but with an area that I cover highlighted, Im just using google websites to make it, but the guy at the top suggested Wordpress so going to have a look into that

Again thankyou for your feedback, its appreciated :D

SEO is search engine optimisation. It allows your potential clients to find you on Google, by looking for your keywords e.g For sale boards in Xxxxx.

As for Wordpress. I've used it on 2 clients sites, but as far as I know, it's a blog rather than a dedicated website?!

If you were to do it all yourself, you'll want hosting (£30 a year?), and a domain (you have).

There are plenty of free templates out there that look ok.

As for the map image, I'd find one of a local area, and Photoshop it to highlight the areas you cover.

Arctic FF 182
SEO is search engine optimisation. It allows your potential clients to find you on Google, by looking for your keywords e.g For sale boards in Xxxxx.

As for Wordpress. I've used it on 2 clients sites, but as far as I know, it's a blog rather than a dedicated website?!

If you were to do it all yourself, you'll want hosting (£30 a year?), and a domain (you have).

There are plenty of free templates out there that look ok.

As for the map image, I'd find one of a local area, and Photoshop it to highlight the areas you cover.

Sorry for the stupid questions,

How do I go about getting SEO into my website then? I spoke to a guy on the phone who told me it can take upto 6 weeks for Google to find your website and have it come up on searches,

Just one more, if I was to search for website templates on Google and find one that I like, what software do I need to be able to edit it? or are the templates software related, in which case what do you recommend, Im not looking for anything fancy just something fairly straight forward, I have iWeb if thats any good?

I will give the Photoshop a go :D

Again thanks for your feedback

SEO, either learn it, or pay someone else to do it. It'll take Google 6 weeks (ish) to find your site, then anything up to 6 months to get onto page 1.

Software, I use Dreamweaver, but this costs.

There are free text editors our there, but I've only ever recommended one to clients, it's called Alleycode iirc. (Someone else may know a better one)

Once you have a template, you'll need to edit and upload it to your hosting company, using a FTP software (file zila?)

IMO, sort the functionality and style of your site, before attempting SEO.