ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Website Design... Talk to me.

I'm basically thinking of setting up my own website. With this comes no idea on what I have to do to set it up.

After speaking with Sym0n, i've located the domain that I want and he said he'll host for me, so now I basically need someone who may be able to design a simple site for me.

I want to set up a site for a few points:
- Promote my Personal Training
- Have sections about my detailing and photography hobbies
- Also, have a blog, so that I can keep people up to date with my training for a marathon. I want this to be used as a way to generate money for charity too, so that people can follow how i'm getting on.

Sym0n has also mentioned that i'm probably best with a Wordpress site, made to look fancy by some budding web designer?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or anyone on here willing to offer their services for some pennies to sort me out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need a web designer dude.

Sym00n is right with Wordpress but it's a doddle to do yourself.

Look here..

http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2008/01/08/100-excellent-free-high-quality-wordpress-themes/

There's thousands and thousands of themes made by some clever person. You just click 'upload' and it makes your site look like that. You can get free themes or there's premium ones that range from $2 up to thousands but you don't really need to pay for it.

Updating/adding pages and writing blog posts is no different to posting on here.

Paid ones..

http://themeforest.net/

www.woothemes.com

Bus w**ker
Seriously, do you even know how many iMessages and phone calls I'll have to ignore if he does it himself?! LOL

Lol. It's super easy. He doesn't have to code anything. He doesn't have to FTP anyway.

Set up a service. 'TEXTSY to 99999 for help. All texts cost £1'

Bus w**ker
Zero, because you have no friends.

You have me confused Greg. AK is Scottish and lives in London.

Lol. It's super easy. He doesn't have to code anything. He doesn't have to FTP anyway.

Set up a service. 'TEXTSY to 99999 for help. All texts cost £1'

Its easy for you, its easy for me and possibly even a r****d from Doncaster could do it...but Paul is from Eastwood.

But I'm off to look into premium rate text services...

340i
LOL.

I'm in.

As others said Paul, there's 100's of free themes and tutorials on the Internet which shoul suit your requirements.

Seriously, do you even know how many iMessages and phone calls I'll have to ignore if he does it himself?! LOL
This guy can see the future.

Cheers Dan. It's just something totally unknown to me, so I guess ill just have to sit and research it when I actually get a day off. The reason why I didn't want to do it myself, is to make it look as professional as possible and, like I say, it's the unknown to me.

So what is my process for creating the site?

Purchase domain from 123reg.
Host it
Then go on Wordpress to do the design and content?!

So all in all, I can potentially make my own website for the cost of the domain (£6), plus a chunk of my time? That's pretty damn good.

Bus w**ker
You buy the domain (now).
You tell me when you've done it and what it is.
I set up your hosting account.
You (read as me) alter the Nameserver record for your domain.
I then change my phone number, email address, name and move house.

Not sure what Si's hosting is, but it may have Installatron (or equivilent) built in. If thats the case something like Word Press/Joomla/any other CMS can be installed in 3 clicks!

Good lad, Sy. I might start this off on Sunday, when i've got a bit of time to sit down and do it properly.

Oh and you should know by now that you can't escape from me. I will always be in that tree outside the window of wherever you are.

Bus w**ker
Well until the DNS pro...doesn't matter. It will take a bit for the domain to work once I've made the change.

Oh and yeah there's Installatron, Softaculous and Fantastico De Luxe available, although I'd just FTP the files up as I've seen the auto installs go to s**t come update time. But that was many years go.

Bus w**ker
Think he went light headed at the thought of paying £6 for a domain for two years...f**king Eastwood tramps.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
For what you want, a simple wordpress theme is more than enough. Plus, its easy to update and manage the content on the site from a nice UI.