ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pump with cambelt change?

worth changing the water pump while the cambelt is being done?
I've read it several times on here but don't actually know if it's just another CS 'must do'...?

Ph1
One of these better to be safe than sorry things especially if you have a high miler. £69 extra

**btw whats the recommended change interval from Renault?

I thought it was the pump on some of the smaller engined models that could become a problem? Not sure though.

I doubt they have a change interval for something like a water pump. It's not a service item.

Pump is £62 here FYI.

Pete

also depends if you want a genuine pump, non genuine are not expensive at all, a 1/4 of the genuine price when I got mine, for that price its just worth doing.

Lionel Richie
^£35 non gen (but is gen if that makes sense!)

its not too bad to change if its all apart anyway, 9 bolts and a bit of a fiddle (its aux driven, so if it fails in future expect around 3-4hours labour to do it)

dunno yet. Only got 1 quote so far from Rentech for both belts... Hoping Dave @ K-Tec can do me a good deal (hi Dave ;))
Renault (Alex) were rather expensive.

annoyingly, I only had the aux belt done in Feb this year... but couldnt afford the the cambelt at the time, so now it's gotta be done again lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
While its off (as you know its not the easiest thing to do) replace it. Its such a cheap part.

(Paid about £22 for mine, non gen but low and behold its identical)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah can't remember where, think it was a local place called car spares.

320d
I wouldn't bother. I'm going to get it done on the ph1 but thats a 70K near 10 year old car so may aswell while the belts are being done.

BMW M5 & E36
£15 inc vat for a Conti pump from my factors. Makes little sense not to in my case with the engine being out anyway.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
When the belts off, its an extra few bolts and worth knowing its all done properly so things cant bugger up.

Amases me how many people skimp on engines when things do go wrong, and could cost more in the long run.

yeah that ^ 40k is not alot of work for a pump (its basically just a bearing) i think the reason people say change with the belts is its £50 & 10mins work when the belts are off instead of a new cambelt if it fails (unlikly that it may be)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Also - If the cam belt is off, then it makes sense to me to renew everything that belt touches. Your replacing the belt, tensioners etc etc, so why not the pump?

I would say the extra £50 would be better spent than wasting an engine. It may never die the existing pump, but to replace it you need to slacken the tensioners to get the pump in and out, then make sure its tensioned again.

May as well do it while its all out.

They usually go on the smaller engine variants, I would just get the cambelt kit and aux belt kit changed.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I dont actually remember a water pump failure on a 172....

however if its worrying you change it for peace of mind, pretty easy when the belts are off

Andy

Bus w**ker
I didn't bother getting mine done, well actually I forgot to add it to the list of stuff to be done, when my belts were being changed. Two weeks later it went, sod law. That was about 76k IIRC on an 8 year old Ph1.