ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pump replacement

Land Rover
I have my 182 booked in to get the aux drive belt and water pump replaced.

I was wondering, what’s the chance of me doing this job myself, on my driveway?

There looks to be very little clearance to do the job and the garage want £300
Has anybody done this job themselves. How did you get on?

PH2 172
I have my 182 booked in to get the aux drive belt and water pump replaced.

I was wondering, what’s the chance of me doing this job myself, on my driveway?

There looks to be very little clearance to do the job and the garage want £300
Has anybody done this job themselves. How did you get on?

Belts and dephaser done at 78000miles was what I read.

Not having the water pump replaced at the same time was obviously short sighted.

If that was over 5 years ago, then the cam belt is due too?

The square to release the aux belt tension has been changed since this 172 730 manual, but gives you an idea of what is involved.

If you don`t want to have a go yourself, I`d suggest Engine Dynamics near Colchester.

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/

£300 is at the top end of the scale for this job.

Attachments

• F4R_730.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 174

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Water pump is easy enough once the aux belt is off,remove water pump pulley and a handful of etorx bolts. I had to use a 1/4 drive ratchet as space is tight. Use a genuine Renault pump as cheap enough and a gallon of type d to refill, new aux kit and belt.

Land Rover
The cam belt was done 20,000 miles ago at the end of 2014 so not due yet.
Not sure if the water pump was changed but it’s not on the parts receipt.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The cam belt was done 20,000 miles ago at the end of 2014 so not due yet.
Not sure if the water pump was changed but it’s not on the parts receipt.
Due next year though, might be worth having everything done whilst you're there or just waiting.
Is the pump leaking? It shouldn't be really if it was replaced

PH2 172
  Land Rover
Yes there’s a slight leak from the water pump, not yet enough to cause coolant level to drop.
One garage suggested Radiator sealant!!

dan's cast offs.
pretty straightforward to do, bumper, slam panel, headlight, alternator, pas pulley and tensioner all off. waterpump pulley comes up and towards engine to get it out with the engine lifted up.

people will tell you that you don't need to take as much off, you don't but for the time it takes and the extra space it gives you it's well worth it.

worst part of the job will probably be scraping the old gasket off.

Land Rover
Thanks
I have to be honest l don’t fancy the job and may let the garage do it.
Their quote is now £150 plus parts.

dan's cast offs.
drop it off, ferry over to liverpool, wander round for a bit, laugh at the locals, bite to eat and then pop back and pick it back up.

Land Rover
Thank you for the replies.
I can do that, l’ve saved their details they are not that far from me.

What l need to decide is, do l just get the water pump/aux belt done now and leave the heavy clutch until the gearbox noise gets worse, as it drives fine and could last years.

Land Rover
Advice taken, thanks.

Car is booked in to Birchdown Motors

Cam belt
Water pump
Aux belt
Gearbox repair
New clutch
Investigate kangarooing at low rpm

That should be enough for them to be getting on with

Reactions: DrR
  Land Rover
Well, the bill from Birchdown is £1850

They said the gearbox was “in a bad state, the worst that their rebuilders had seen” so that cost just under £500+ VAT plus 2 courier payments of £26
And it’s had a new clutch, water pump and cam belt kit.
Plus they said the mainshaft splines were worn which meant it needed a new drive shaft.
And an engine oil change.

Bloody hell. Still, l like the car.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Ouch ! At least it's sorted now and you can drive it with confidence ? and shouldn't need any more major work for a long time .

Land Rover
The main issue was the gearbox, l was looking at prices quoted on here and they seemed to be around £300 plus labour, then Birchdown’s gearbox repairer wanted £900 (!!) so they sent it somewhere else and they said it would be “£400-450” and of course it came to the higher price.
Apparently it was in a bad state, although it drove fine just with the whining noise.
I did contact the guy on here who does gearboxes, but the problem was l had no way to remove it and send it to him, so l asked him could he source one and l’d pay for it, and he could rebuild it then l would get it fitted.
And he said he’d get back to me but l heard nothing more. So it just needed doing. I was expecting around £1500 to do all the work so l guess with the drive shaft and state of the gearbox it’s not too bad.

Land Rover
They’ve still got the car....said the condenser is leaking so going to replace that as well.
Soon they’ll have had it longer than l have.