ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water leaking from rear end of cat. Blowing exhaust.

After jacking the car up a few times fiddling with new alloys, I drove the car up and down the street, not even 1/4 mile. Wouldn't have even warmed up.

When I got out of the car I could hear the exhaust blowing in center section.

Got down to have a look and not only was it blowing by the cat but a puddle of water about an inch or so had formed under where its Blowing. I'd only been parked there for about 30 seconds.
Water looked pretty clear, a little dirty/sooty.

Would this mean I have a shot cat or sonething worse? Or is it normal for a cat to produce this much water and that it's just cos there's a hole there now that the waters I never normally would see is escaping?

See attached picture. You can see near the clamp the darker patch is where the water was coming from.
Ran out of time tonight to Jack car up to inspect closer. Is it a new joint required in the center to cure the blowing?

Coolant is fine on the level and no warning lights.

Cheers. Dan

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427058581289.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427058581289.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 105
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The water/Moisture is normal, the blow isn't.

Well, if you run it nice and hot the moisture mostly goes away... The cat helps produce it so it never totally leaves

Well that sounds good news. Is that part leaking just a separate clamp that joins the cat and center pipe? Just replace the center clamp.

Or is the clamp part of the exhaust and would need cutting off and a new clamp fitted/welded on?
Will get it booked in garage next Sat. Would be handy to know so can tell them what's needed if they need to order a center clamp etc

It was quite a bit coming out. Like a constant dripping, quite alarming. Eek!

My cat is blowing too. Haven't noticed any water though.
Has your emissions light come on dan?
I only drove it a minute. No lights came on while it was idling.
Had an issue with new alloys I fitted so had to park it up anyway and spotted this at same time.

So haven't been able to take it out for a proper run.

Too scared to take it to London with me now too, incase exhaust collapsed on motorway. Lol. So have to take the Honda next week now.

Google how cats work and this thread will be solved in seconds.

Get your emissions checked if you're worried...
Thanks mate.
Yeah. I did Google and it says they produce water etc. Was just a bit alarmed at how much was coming out. I suppose as engine was cold more Would be produced until at running temp

Just paranoid it's a gasket failure. [emoji33] Sounds like it's ok though. Just fix the blow.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Best to take it to an exhaust place and have a new set of flanged welded on. That will fix it

Bizarre. .. cars fixed itself. Lol

Came home this weekend. Started car, no blowing noise. No water dripping either.
Took it to local ATS and they check it and couldn't see anything.
Just keep an eye on it and if any issues take it there for a 're seal.

Was it all a dream? Lol