ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

water leak below manifold and above drivers shaft....what is it?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
hey as above, started getting water running out from something above drivers shaft going into gearbox/below manifold.
engine is a phase1 1.6 1999
i put it on wee ramps that i got a shot of today and it looks like a circular part where its coming from but with it being just reachable from the bottom and the manifold above im unsure how to go about it or what it is, could anyone help out?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
manifold meaning exhaust i guess ? Sounds as though youve popped a core plug. Cheap to buy from Renault. Burn the old ones out and replace. Easier said than done though. Make sure you use anti-freeze from now on though lol..

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yeah its in between the exhaust manifold and drivers shaft going into the gearbox,
could you explain more about the core plug and what it does and where it is please?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
The core plug is located on the block of the engine. All it does is sit there along with 3 others. They are roughly38mm in diameter but could be smaller on yours considering its a 1600cc.

Round about £3 from Renault. You can either knock whats left of the plug into the block where it will just sit there and rust, or burn it out and pull it away. Pop the new one on with some sealent and job dont. Its not easy though.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
ive got a picture from under the car which i will try to get online tomorow for you all to see,

is the core plugs inside a circular thing with two 6-8mm bolts holding it on?its metal with a two inch black section in the middle with a silver plate on the black with codes on and also has a tiny hole on the underside

kinda confused with the 38mm diameter as this thing is a full handfull part thats why maybe i thought core plugs are inside this.
:S

182 ff, classic mini
my freinds core plug blew out after just 20 miles of reasonable driving on his 182 with cup packs. is this a common fault?? Once fixed is it likely to happen again?? would anyone recommend a anti freeze to prevent this?? Anybody know how to put a new one on properly??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Core plug issues are very uncommon especially on the current platforms since the introduction of modern coolants (such as type-d) which are chemical based containing anti-corrosion inhibitors. Some people still insist on using water or water based coolants without ethelyn glycol as its base component though which will cause these problems in your cooling system given enough time.

If your "friend" had one pop out after 2miles then it was either incorrectly fitted or it was the wrong size in the first place.