ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water damaged iPhone 4. Saveable?

330i. E30 Touring.
One of my mates dropped his iP4 in the bath yesterday, and has offered it to me pretty cheap.

It's spent all night in the airing cupboard and whilst it still works (it's on), the screen sensitivity is pretty shot. It won't unlock or respond well to touch.

Anyone had any experience of this before and had it working right again? Are there service centres that will fix it up at reasonable cost?

I'm a complete iP n00b, so any help is appreciated.. x

Problem with water damage it can take a while before other affects are known. Things like corrosion on the mainboard, around the charger point etc. Some places will offer repairs but they won't guarantee it and it could just go wrong the next day anyway.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Stick it in a bag of rice (dry race out the packet), then stick it back in the airing cupboard for a few more days.

Ibiza FR
When my mrs dropped her Blackberry in the bath, I turned it straight off and put it into a bowl of rice overnight and worked perfectly :) Might be too late now though for the iPhone...

Ph2 172
Stick it in a bag of rice (dry race out the packet), then stick it back in the airing cupboard for a few more days.

I did this with mine when it went through the washing machine. It wouldn't turn on at all for a while then the lock button had a mind of it's own. After a day in rice it seems fine. That was about 3 months ago And in using it now.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
By the sounds of it it is repairable. Leave it in rice for another day or 2, then try again, if the touch response is gone then you need a replacement digitizer (if im not mistaken these are actually 1 piece devices so the digitizer and the LCD are the same component) replace this/these and it should work perfectly again

Honda. Tesla Someday
Should have kept it off.

I dropped my old N95 in water once, as soon as it happened I pulled the battery out and left it to dry for 3-4 days! Then switched on, BAM worked perfectly!

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
take the battery/SIM out and leave it to dry. OFF.

if it was me, i'd remove the two little screws on the bottom and break the casing apart a bit to let the moisture out.

dont put wet clothes in the airing cupboard with it.

you could wash it in Di water to make sure no contaminates are left (which cause corrosion)

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
take the battery/SIM out and leave it to dry. OFF.

if it was me, i'd remove the two little screws on the bottom and break the casing apart a bit to let the moisture out.

dont put wet clothes in the airing cupboard with it.

you could wash it in Di water to make sure no contaminates are left (which cause corrosion)

You don't need to do any of that if you use the rice trick.

merdesa
Indeed, Apple does not cover water damaged devices. There's an LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) installed in the device and can be checked by a tech to determine whether the unit has been exposed to liquid. If so, the warranty is void. Here's an article with more details:
How to Fix Water Damaged iPhone
As the user above mentioned, many Third-Party repair sites offer coverage of this sort of damage. Do thorough research and find the vendor most suited for your case.

Good luck!

merdesa
Indeed, Apple does not cover water damaged devices. There's an LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) installed in the device and can be checked by a tech to determine whether the unit has been exposed to liquid. If so, the warranty is void. Here's an article with more details:
How to Fix Water Damaged iPhone
As the user above mentioned, many Third-Party repair sites offer coverage of this sort of damage. Do thorough research and find the vendor most suited for your case.
Read more about iPhone Data Recovery.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
My other half dropped hers in the bath last week and it messed up straight away. She left it in a tub of rice overnight and it now works like normal again