ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washer jets still leaking, arg!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok so i've tried and tested the one way valve thing, doesn't do anything and i never understood the principal behind it.

If i block the pipe will it damage anything?

Are the light washers on a seperate motor, anyway to disconnect it?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm guessing the cause is the washer is lower than the washer bottle, so drains out.

Is there such a thing as a resistance valve? Something like that might fix it.

BMW M135i
Ok so i've tried and tested the one way valve thing, doesn't do anything and i never understood the principal behind it.

If i block the pipe will it damage anything?

Are the light washers on a seperate motor, anyway to disconnect it?

On a seperature motor, you'll have to take to wipers off to get that side of the skuttle panel up to disconnect them. Just change the sodding things like I said ;), thinking about it you could pull the washer fuse (i think theres one just for the pump but it might do other things too) and clamp the hoses but your better off changing the washers and avoid using them in the future as much as possible.

Mine have started leaking and I'm fed up people telling me.

What causes it?

As the jets are below the level of the washer tank they'll just syphon out so renault build the washers with a valve in them so that the pressure of the pump operating opens the valve and sprays the washers. When they're not being used to valve closes and stop the fluid draining out, trouble is the spring in the valve corrodes due to it being permanently immersed in water then it breaks and they leak down to the level of the washer pump in the tank.

Clio Sport 172
25062008201.jpg

25062008205.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cheers for the pics.
You've got two in the same line? Where did you get the valves from?
I've got one down by the horn.

Clio Sport 172
no ones for the right and one left.. they are from halords. are you sure you put yours the right way round?

in halfords they are above the wiper blades

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Only one side leeks though? Halfords i went to didn't even know what a one way valve was lol, might go for a longer drive to the bigger one.

Clio Sport 172
yeah only my drivers side leeked but i thought if im doing one ill do the other too. i found it better to look your self in halfords lol. look near the wiper blades

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
is easy to disconnect the washer pump and in the n/s wheel arch there is a connection just make it into a loop that way it cant leak

182-racing-blue

So glad I stumbled on this thread!! My offside is leaking like a b**ch. Thanks for the info, another money saving tip!!!!

Cheers

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
This is how i fixed mine!

First job is to lift the bonnet and get up behind the scuttle panel

DSCF1830.jpg

If you just lift it up you can see the wires that run to the washers pumps

DSCF1831.jpg

Simply pull this out like so
DSCF1832.jpg

Then put the scuttle panel back along with all the clips

DSCF1830.jpg

Next step it to jack up the fron left of the car to allow access to the inner wheel arch, could even remove the wheel but no need in my opinion.
DSCF1834.jpg

Undue this hex bolt
DSCF1839.jpg

and pull out the two plugs that hold in the wheel arch, have to tug these quite hard, using a screwdriving to lever them out also helps.

DSCF1840.jpg

with those removed the wheel arch will move to the right giving access to the pipe that run to the washers.

DSCF1836.jpg

simply pull the black hoses from the clear ones, then connect the 2 clear hoses together

DSCF1837.jpg

then reassemble, job done!

P.S the light washer won't work after doing this but my lights don't need cleaning!

Big thanks to lemonnobby1 for the info to :)

mps aero
im asuming that ur talking about the light washers? they wer leaking on my 172 not long back. i simply took off and reconnected all the hoses it only leaked when the washer bottle was too full. well when i say to full i mean near the top lol

i park facing downhill, and today i filled my water up to the very top, and noticed for the first time when i got back that mine was leaking. maybe if i was on a flat and wasnt facing downhill they wouldnt leak. theyll stop leaking after a while tho when ive used some water or enough has leaked away. shame really cos i have to fill up every week nearly

I just blocked mine off removed the fuse and put grommits where the washer goes, bobs your uncle.

Before anyone says it it wont cause you hassle on the mot!

09 GIXXER 750!!!
Mine were doing the same. I have never really worked on a car much before. I manage to take the bumpe off fitted new washers (£12 each) and put the bumper back on all in two hours. Its easy and thats coming from someone who has never done it before....!! Give it a go mate.

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs
I replaced my headlight washers a few days ago and it went like this:

- 2x screws in slam panel
- remove bonnet sensor in slam panel
- 2x torx screws in front splitter each side
- 1x torx screw in each wheel arch
- then remove inner arches
- 1x 10mm bolts inside wheel arch (each side)
- 1x clip holding bumper each side
- 2x 10mm bolts underneath.
- disconnect fogs passenger side only
- pull bumper down and forward to remove.
- replace washer jets and reassemble.

total job 1hour 15 and wouldn't say i'm a pro or anything, although you'll want a mate to steady the bumper for you, as you unbolt.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
This might sound like a really stupid question but here goes anyway. When you got behind the scuttle and disconnected the motor I'm assuming that's because you don't need to use the motor thats for the headlight washers any more. But how did you know which connector is for what so as you don't disconnect the motor that powers the windscreen washers?

This is how i fixed mine!

First job is to lift the bonnet and get up behind the scuttle panel

DSCF1830.jpg

If you just lift it up you can see the wires that run to the washers pumps

DSCF1831.jpg

Simply pull this out like so
DSCF1832.jpg

Then put the scuttle panel back along with all the clips

DSCF1830.jpg

Next step it to jack up the fron left of the car to allow access to the inner wheel arch, could even remove the wheel but no need in my opinion.
DSCF1834.jpg

Undue this hex bolt
DSCF1839.jpg

and pull out the two plugs that hold in the wheel arch, have to tug these quite hard, using a screwdriving to lever them out also helps.

DSCF1840.jpg

with those removed the wheel arch will move to the right giving access to the pipe that run to the washers.

DSCF1836.jpg

simply pull the black hoses from the clear ones, then connect the 2 clear hoses together

DSCF1837.jpg

then reassemble, job done!

P.S the light washer won't work after doing this but my lights don't need cleaning!

Big thanks to lemonnobby1 for the info to :)

What do you do with the wires after you disconnect them? The ones under the scuttle panel that is..

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I've done the job of repairing them a couple of times now and honestly your best option is just to replace the jets. It works out less hassle and they last longer than the Halfords return valves in my experience. My advice would be to replace both of your washer pumps while you have it in pieces too for the price of them, they're pennies from Euro Car Parts.