ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warrenty and mods

Just a quick question for anyone who works at Renault or knows about warranties etc.

Say I had a chip fitted to my car and I take it in for a running problem (unrelated to chip) could they just null the whole warranty on the engine if they found it, or could they only null it if I came in with a fault that could be proven was caused by my engine mods.

Right worse case , its proven to be the modded chip that caused it. You pay for them to fix it out of your own pocket. Now once that is fixed can they null your warranty on the engine? Even though your next problem may be nothing do with mods and may have happened anyway and is unrelated to the engine mods.

I hope that makes sense....

R

rich[182]

Moral of this has to be "IS IT WORTH IT?"

I reckon a lot is down to your dealer and in particular the warranty claims manager, I was just about to post a new topic when I read your post so here goes........

I know of someone who has a Focus ST170 with an open induction kit, think its a Pipercross Vector, He took car in for service and Ford technician advised him to remove the IK for the following AND said he would HAVE to make a note on their service log records for THAT car on the grounds

1 - If car wasnt chipped then it would be running lean, Forget engine claims

2 - If it was chipped then engine warranty claims could NOT be made

Either way hes on to a loser

Superchips offer some kind of warranty although ive not read the small print, Id love to get a superchip upgrade.

From what ive heard they have to prove the mod made the fault, if they cant they cant refuse the waranty claim. Will be interesting to read the replies from ppl that actually work at Renault and other dealers.

im having a stainless steel exhaust fitted and i am still under warrenty. i just rang up renault warrenty customer services and told them the facts and they said that only the part i replace will be void. hope this helps. im getting in in writing, perhaps u should too.

I think its in the warently booklet about affected parts having there warently removed due to mods.

New EU laws (for once there achully useful) they have to prove the mod is to blame for the failure. Anyway are Renault realy going to check for remaps when it takes some time. JAY172 was saying he can find them but doesnt bother. Unless there a big warently claim I cannot see any problems.

Ive heard of whole new engine being replaced on Corsa 1.2 even though the car was modified. Its down to the dealership al weel IMO they may take a very lax view or they may be very hardline.

EDD

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if the mod directly caused the fault(eg-a poorly mapped ecu caused the engine to run very lean and caused some damage) then that claim would be void.this is of course if they know the mod is there.a chip that is not visible because its inside the ecu will probably not be found so will not affect your claim but a visible piggy back chip could be different.they could probably prove the chip was the cause of the fault if they really wanted to.To be honest though most dealers overlook mods and still carry out work regargless.anything that has put the vehicle out of standard spec in renaults eyes could be a cause of a fault.things like lowering would void any claims on the suspension if the dealer made a point of it.

Jay what you rekon they would say if they saw my de-cat? Would you not say anything if you noticed one a customers car?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i personally wouldnt be bothered and would ignore it.i think most dealers would ignore a decat.