ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Walkie Talkies

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
As title says.. Me and a few mates have decided we wanna get some walkie talkies as its a pain trying to communicate with each other whilst driving.

Anyone have any recommendations for them ideally would need a quad pack, not to expensive and just simple to use.

Clio 182
We use the kenwood protalk at work.
They are awesome and pretty indestructible. We've tried others over the years but always go back to these.
Have about 20 right now and are great.

Inferno 225 cup
No if its not a mobile phone then the offence of using a mobile phone whilst driving doesn't count. However, it could be deemed to be 'not in proper control' so be careful :up:
I f**king love having you on here.

The best black cop ever.
4900a9449c2bc52d29771fbcbb6ac109.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep what Danny says I think. I asked someone I used to work with who's in the police.

Control of a hand held device etc. he wasn't a hundred percent but confident if caught by a got up on the wrong side of bed police officer, it could be awkward. The way forward is mega phone on the roof, it's the only way imo.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I always thought that two way radios, as Ron said above, were very specifically excluded from the mobile device while driving thing.

Is that not because various professionals have to use them when performing duties?

Police? Taxis? Ambulance?

Walkie talkies are excluded on based on their frequency range.

(d) “two-way radio” means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted— (i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and (ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz

SQ5
Yep what Danny says I think. I asked someone I used to work with who's in the police.

Control of a hand held device etc. he wasn't a hundred percent but confident if caught by a got up on the wrong side of bed police officer, it could be awkward. The way forward is mega phone on the roof, it's the only way imo.

Hand held device is the one yes!

Walkie talkies are excluded on based on their frequency range.

(d) “two-way radio” means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted— (i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and (ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz

Looks like I was wrong though!

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
We use Motorola's at work but they have to be licensed and range is rubbish. But they are pretty indestructible as long as you don't submerse them in water

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The offence is worded 'using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving.

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

Which is what I said in the first place iirc.

SQ5
The offence is worded 'using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving.

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

Which is what I said in the first place iirc.

When I was caught 4 years ago it was handheld device, no mention of a phone. Also interestingly enough they've changed the wording now of a CU80 to "CU80 Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc"

I use a set of Cobra MicroTalks with friends when out and about driving. Makes the trip so much better when you can just talk or discuss what to do next such as lane changing etc..

They cover a few cars distance in a built up area which is more than enough really. If anyone remembers CSS last year, I was on the campsite setting up and @Dan.AS had just got off the motorway and he could talk all the way from there to getting to the campsite which was some distance (more open mind but still pretty impressive).

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
When I was caught 4 years ago it was handheld device, no mention of a phone. Also interestingly enough they've changed the wording now of a CU80 to "CU80 Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc"

The offence is specific to mobile phones. There are however similar penalties for using other devices if it can be shown that a person is not in proper control because of using said 'device'. As far as I know both offences would be shown as CU80 offences despite them being separate offences.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

A recent change means that we no longer issue fixed penalty notices at the roadside. We now have to report people and a decision is made centrally wether that person can be simply given points and a fine or if they should be summonsed to court.

We were recently told that because our radios can also used as a mobile phone (airwave radios) they fall into the mobile phone category and we therefore should not be using them whilst driving. If they were just radios we would be able to use them as long as we still had proper control of our vehicles.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
The ones I listed come with a form for licensing.
I think we have a specific number of radios licensed on a set of frequencies.
We used to use the GP300's that were analogue- brilliant almost un breakable, pretty decent range with a good battery on the higher frequencies. But they all were really old some over 15 years old and just getting past economic repair. We replaced them all with digital ones. Not as good range and there is a bit of a lag as well

Clio 172 RS Ph1
No if its not a mobile phone then the offence of using a mobile phone whilst driving doesn't count. However, it could be deemed to be 'not in proper control' so be careful :up:
Thought it was an offence to use a 'hand held device' rather than a mobile phone as such which a walkie talkie would be classed the same surely

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
CB!!!

10-4 Good buddy - how many candles you burning?

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
me and my friends use Zello, free from the app store, allows you to create walkie talkie style channels :)

SQ5
Does it use Bluetooth or data though?

Bluetooth won't work over a few metres and data isn't going to be good abroad

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Or in domestic places where's there's zero mobile signal for calls let alone data. I'm thinking places like Snowdonia / Lake District / Highlands / Cornwall etc.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Just look up biker gear. Even the cheapo Oxford type stuff worked well when I was riding and it all uses headsets so hands-free.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Me and 3 mates recently went on a 2.5 hour trip and had bought a set of 4 walkie talkies from maplin the brand is cobra and they have up to an 8km range. They were £100 so £25 each and for the money they were a great buy!
Made the trip hilarious and the drive flew by. and they were loud and clear up to about half a mile range(the furthers we ever strayed)