ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media Broadband

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Hello all,

How much do you pay for your VM broadband and what speed do you get for it?

At the moment we have the phoneline, TV (inc Sky Sports) and broadband. The broadband is only 2mb and it's about £18 a month and would be £25 a month for 10mb, I think this is expensive but to guage what's out there how much do you pay?

Ideally I'd like to go on to 02 broadband and pay less than a tenner for 10mb but you need a BT landline which would probably make it more expensive in the end to get all the channels we get for the TV at the moment.

Revels Mum & Sister
I had Virgin for about 20 months and had not one single problem and I have a VERY poor line right at the end of the line.

Old man and sister have had it for about the same as me and not had one single problem either, they are both on 8mb connections. Speeds on both those connections when not capped max out the connection on NEwsgroups. Unlimited data plans that get hammered and not had one complaint.

Unless its LLU then it all goes through BT so a lot of the time it matters not. Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk are all much and much the same. A BUDGET service.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Virgin is a truly terrible service.

Move to sky.

Not true. I've had a few problems recently but only for a night or so and other than that it's been perfect for over 2 years. I'm on their 20mb connection. Having worked for Sky and from experiences I've been told of with Sky BB I'd steer well clear. I'd recommend o2 broadband over Sky.

Scirocco GT 2.0
We have had cable broadband/tv/phone for the best part of 13 years since they were Cable and Wireless > Telewest > VM and we have had no problems. We find their service absolutely spot on especially now Virgin has taken over.

20MB here and we get 19.7MB all the time, sometimes higher. Just have to ensure your network card has the correct duplex negotiation settings

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
We have had cable broadband/tv/phone for the best part of 13 years since they were Cable and Wireless > Telewest > VM and we have had no problems. We find their service absolutely spot on especially now Virgin has taken over.

20MB here and we get 19.7MB all the time, sometimes higher. Just have to ensure your network card has the correct duplex negotiation settings

Same here.

Had it since the 128k service!

Always been spot on....

Currently on the 20MB service and also get 19.7mb all the time :)

BMW M135i

Same here.

Had it since the 128k service!

Always been spot on....

Currently on the 20MB service and also get 19.7mb all the time :)

Agree with Has and scotty here 100% been with them since the start and have never had a problem with their service at all. I'd rather eat my left testicle than go to ADSL it just doesn't touch it. On 10mb here and get that 99.9% of the time if the other server can hack it.

Citroen DS3 DSport
All the time?

Virgin at my parents; Download 4gb in one hit. You wont get 19.7mb. Not for 24hrs.

My connection will only ever drop in speed for a maximum of 4 or 5 hours and only if I download over 4gb during peak hours.

Mk2 Clio dci
I have virgin media broadband. Think i pay £18, no sure on speed, but its fast and very stable for me.
Used to have the TV package, but i went to sky as i wanted the sky1, etc. I have about 6 or 7 problems with it since April 08, compared to 0 in the Years we had NTL/Virgin Media. I wouldn't change back though, for some reason i prefer sky. And i can't be assed with it all!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
All the time?

Virgin at my parents; Download 4gb in one hit. You wont get 19.7mb. Not for 24hrs.

Yup, when i was having issues on adsl and working on projects had a tester running.

Cable Line test every hour for 48hr period ran and average of 19.678.

Not a single test was under 19mb (speedtest that is, from www.speedtest.net)

Donwloads....yes they all kept to a d/l speed for the above.

Only time ive had it drop...is when it gets capped.
But that is only down to the fair usage policy!..

Works pretty well here, not bad considering im in the 2 miles from there HQ :)

We had the 50MB trial here a while back, awesome it was!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Virgins ok unless your what they call a " heavy user " , like me . Then their traffic management kicks in and they cap you for like 10 hours a day .

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

I've been with em donkeys years and i'm too lazy to change because i have so many shopping accounts etc .... set up using my ntl email address it would be a pain in the ass .

I'd go with bethere if i was looking for a new broadband provider , from what i've read they ate the dogs dangly bits . Nothing touches them apparently .

Last edited:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Virgins ok unless your what they call a " heavy user " , like me . Then their traffic management kicks in and they cap you for like 10 hours a day .

I've been with em donkeys years and i'm too lazy to change because i have so many shopping accounts etc .... set up using my ntl email address it would be a pain in the ass .

I'd go with bethere if i was looking for a new broadband provider , from what i've read they ate the dogs dangly bits . Nothing touches them apparently .

The cap is not too bad, just got to work around it and any "big" downloads set them after 9pm, sorted.

And as for Be.
Yes they are good....i also have them here ;)

BUT your speed on ADSL is dependandt on your distance from exchange and line quality.

Im quite closer then most and get a 15mb Sync.

Yes d/l speeds are okay and uncapped, but i can double my d/l speed on virgin cable and have the job done.

BMW M135i
The speed limit as far as I know (at least for me) is only effective between 4 and 9pm otherwise you can knock yourself out.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The speed limit as far as I know (at least for me) is only effective between 4 and 9pm otherwise you can knock yourself out.

That's correct and only if you download more than 3gb during that time. Even then the restriction only lasts for 5 hours and not 24 as posted earlier in this thread.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
That's correct and only if you download more than 3gb during that time. Even then the restriction only lasts for 5 hours and not 24 as posted earlier in this thread.

Wrong !! And who posted 24 hours ? I posted 10 hours as in the information given out by Virginmedia themselves .

What do the updates to the traffic management policy mean?
To make sure all customers get the most from their connection, we automatically reduce the speed of the heaviest users at peak evening times - between 4pm and 9pm. In extreme cases, we may now also reduce the speed between 10am and 3pm - something that'll have an impact on just 1% of our customers.
In short, our changes mean that fewer customers are expected to have their speeds managed on a daily basis. Take a look at the table below for more details.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I never said that you did say that. Between 10am and 3pm I'm at work so that does not bother me at all. It also says they may restrict speed, not will.

Polo + Micra
i've been capped a few times but not every time i go over like 4gb

but when it is un-capped it is at 20mb and will average 2,200Kib/s from the VM newsgroup

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I never said that you did say that. Between 10am and 3pm I'm at work so that does not bother me at all. It also says they may restrict speed, not will.

Are you blind or what , or just illiterate ? I stated they cap you for 10 hours . You said 24 hours . Nobody else mentioned 24 hours except yourself .

And where it says " may " it really means they do and will . I download alot at all times of the day so i've experienced capping many many times .

Next time , may i suggest that you read the posts thoroughly before commenting . Then you might just get your facts right ;)

Citroen DS3 DSport
All the time?

I suggest MRBILLYUK follows his own advice and reads all of the posts. He's clearly blind or just illiterate! :D

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
You do not get capped for 10 hours. That is complete bull i'm afraid

Downstream When does it apply?
1600-2100​
Threshold 500MB 1200MB 3000MB Percentage Throttled 50% 75% 75% Throttling duration
5hrs​
Upstream When does it apply?
1500-2000​
Threshold 200MB 700MB 1400MB Percentage Throttled 50% 75% 75% Throttling duration
5hrs​

Last edited:
  Bus w**ker
385975940.png

Just done that now, usually it's closer to 20000kbps though and I'm connected wirelessly. 20mb XL package btw if you've not guessed.

It's ok, can't really grumble about it as I was expecting a lot worse from the horror stories I've heard. Although they did downgrade the package from XL to 2mb M and make out that they had no records of me upgrading even though I've got the email from them here PMSL. So yeah support sucks big Mumbai ass.

If you play online games my ping is on average 13ms on my PC and I've never noticed any lag playing online on my PS3 either.

The Cap is a pain in the arse if you download a lot. First night I got it I hammered 6Gb in about three hours during the peak times, next thing the speed plumetted and stayed like that for the rest of the night. It's meant to only be for five hours, or if you use excessive amounts out of peak you can also see a cap being put on you then too. FUP info is HERE.

Sy

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You do not get capped for 10 hours. That is complete bull i'm afraid

Downstream When does it apply?
1600-2100​

Threshold 500MB 1200MB 3000MB Percentage Throttled 50% 75% 75% Throttling duration
5hrs​

Upstream When does it apply?
1500-2000​

Threshold 200MB 700MB 1400MB Percentage Throttled 50% 75% 75% Throttling duration
5hrs​

Your wrong . Call it what you like . Capped , throttled , traffic management but Virgin Media DO slow down connection speeds for heavy users like myself .

You even posted it yourself , how much they throttle peoples connections . My speed regularly gets throttled down to 2mb during the day and evenings when i'm downloading alot of large files . Once i get to around 10pm it speeds up again and that's everyday .

Is this forum full of numptys or what ??:clown: Don't you understand plain English .

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
No, you are the numpty that has stated 10 hours, everyone else has corrected you saying it is not for 10 hours! I know more than anyone that is capped as I work for virgin media so is my job to know.

Citroen DS3 DSport
If anyone is downloading so much each day that they suffer the 5 hour cap twice per day then they deserve to be capped.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No, you are the numpty that has stated 10 hours, everyone else has corrected you saying it is not for 10 hours! I know more than anyone that is capped as I work for virgin media so is my job to know.

Lmao . Thats not something i'd like to share publicly tbh pal , working for Virgin Media . And who is everyone else ? You and sneeks ? Well that says alot eh . I don't think this sneeks fella is the sharpest tool in the box tbh from what i've seen ;)

I'll post it again what it says on Virgin medias website . Because obviously you haven't got a clue about your companys policies .

What do the updates to the traffic management policy mean?
To make sure all customers get the most from their connection, we automatically reduce the speed of the heaviest users at peak evening times - between 4pm and 9pm. In extreme cases, we may now also reduce the speed between 10am and 3pm - something that'll have an impact on just 1% of our customers.
In short, our changes mean that fewer customers are expected to have their speeds managed on a daily basis. Take a look at the table below for more details.

Between 4pm and 9pm = 5 hours and between 10am and 3pm also = 5 hours which gives a total of 10 hours unless my maths is that sh1t lol . I know there are a lot of thick fcukers who work for Virgin media but surely even a half wit like yourself can see it's 10 hours !! :clown:

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
nope, it is 5 hours. You will be throttled for a maximum of 5 hours per time you exceed the fair usage policy. I am not ashamed in any way of working for VM, but thanks for your concern. Tell you what, if we are so bad, give me your account number and I will ensure that you are disconneced by tomorrow, see if you can get a 20mb service anywhere else.

Bus w**ker
Andy,
Seriously STFU lol. Check the FUP link directly to the VM site I posted above. I've known many VM/NTL employees and they all say how crap it is to work there and how they hate it...oh and making threats against one of your employers customers when you have your full name as your username probably isn't the smartest move PMSL. :clown: As neither of you are really making your points clearly, I'll make them for you.

If you exceed the FUP limit during "peak hours", which on the 20mb XL package is 4Gb down during 16:00-21:00 and something else up during 15:00-20:00, you will have your speed throttled, for me down to 5mb, for a "maximum" (which is b****cks as it's lasted longer for me and a google search would suggest it's not just me either) of five hours. After that time the throttle will be removed and you'll be back up and running at full speed.

However if you use an excessive, and in typical ISP fashion there is no set limit on this, amount during off peak you will also be throttled from 10:00-15:00, which is five hours again (that equals 10 btw).

I'm considering how it's possible to make this any clearer.

In brief; If you are an average user and restrict your downloading during peak hours you'll never feel the cap. If you do download a large amount during the peak hours you will be hit for a five hour traffic managed period. If you are a serious leech 24hours a day you'll probably also get hit for traffic management during off peak hours.

If anyone is downloading so much each day that they suffer the 5 hour cap twice per day then they deserve to be capped.
+1 TBH. :nono:

/thread

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Im not making threats, im just stating how if we are so bad he can leave. I personally enjoy my position within the company, but obviously there will be those that love the service and job and those who hate it. i will agree to disagree :D

Oh, and the 50mb when available in all areas has no fair usage poliy, no throtteling or anything. Well worth it if you download loads and dont want to be capped

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Im not making threats, im just stating how if we are so bad he can leave. I personally enjoy my position within the company, but obviously there will be those that love the service and job and those who hate it. i will agree to disagree :D

Oh, and the 50mb when available in all areas has no fair usage poliy, no throtteling or anything. Well worth it if you download loads and dont want to be capped

There you go again . Not reading and understanding what i wrote ;) I never once said Virgin media was a bad service ,i merely stated that they do throttle heavy users for long periods of time i.e. 10 hours . It was the Virgin media employees that i said were useless lol ;)

nope, it is 5 hours. You will be throttled for a maximum of 5 hours per time you exceed the fair usage policy. I am not ashamed in any way of working for VM, but thanks for your concern. Tell you what, if we are so bad, give me your account number and I will ensure that you are disconneced by tomorrow, see if you can get a 20mb service anywhere else.

Naughty naughty . Making threats on an open forum , especially like symOn stated , with your name in full view haha .

0845 840 7777 . Hello . Is that VM customer service ? I'd like to to make a complaint about one of your employees ....... lmao ;)

I'm not going to keep going on and on about it . I know it is 10 hours throttling on a regular basis for heavy users like myself .

It'll be interesting to see how VM manage people who subscibe to the 50mb service . At the end of the day . Why would people want or need 50mb , unless it was to constantly download alot of large files i.e. movies , music ..... I'm pretty sure that after a while they will bring in some sort of traffic management for the 50mb users also .

I guess it's just a case of watch this space !

Based on the fact 50Mb would cost A LOT of money to provide properly... it'll be very expensive (like, hundreds per month just for the connection) or a really poor fair use/capped..... doesn't take a genius to guess which one will be the case ;)

If people actually understood the cost of bandwidth and infrastructure to provide that bandwidth, they'd realise £20 a month bolted onto your TV package doesn't cover it :rasp:

Citroen DS3 DSport
The 50mb connection will definitely be subject to fair usage but they'll not advertise or enforce that for a short while after launch or it will detract from the fanfare they hope for. I don't mind them throttling the connection so long as the trigger level is reasonable.

Last edited:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i'm with virgin and have the 10mbservice. i leave newsleecher running 24 hours a day and couldn't careless if iget capped in the middle of the day, i accumulate so much stuff anyway that i don't really notice

Scirocco GT 2.0
Based on the fact 50Mb would cost A LOT of money to provide properly... it'll be very expensive (like, hundreds per month just for the connection) or a really poor fair use/capped..... doesn't take a genius to guess which one will be the case ;)

If people actually understood the cost of bandwidth and infrastructure to provide that bandwidth, they'd realise £20 a month bolted onto your TV package doesn't cover it :rasp:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/index.do

Scirocco GT 2.0
So how much do you all pay?

We have a special deal for long-term "Loyal Customers" anyone else get this?

£65/month for all the channels except Sky Sports/Movies. V+ box in the lounge. Normal box upstairs. XL Unlimited Phone Package with Mobile + International addons & 20MB Broadband. No install charge either :approve:

Pretty good deal. We're Going to find out how much extra they want for 50MB when they pull their finger out and install it down our road!