ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vinyl Record Player Advice

I want to get the mrs a record player for her birthday.

It needs to look the part, so the "vintage" look is a must (her taste, and to fit in with the decor of the flat).

The issue is, I know zero about them or what's good and what's best avoided. Budget, around £100?

Cheers

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
That's like someone asking for the best hot hatch for £3000 and you suggesting a new FRS. :expressionless:

So is it a none starter? We're hardly connoisseurs of music.

lol I guess it depends if you want something that's going to last and sound good.

Stanton do one for about £160/£170 that would be decent quality. Direct drive as well.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I learnt to mix on Pioneer CDJ's but my wife is old skool and disregards anything other than vinyl!

To be fair though you really beat the 1210's

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I've had two sets of 1210 mk2's bought brand new.

They are awesome bits of kit.

In need to invest in another set and dig all my vinyl out.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I've had two sets of 1210 mk2's bought brand new.

They are awesome bits of kit.

In need to invest in another set and dig all my vinyl out.
Yeah you're exactly the same as my wife, she sold her pair of mk2's a year ago to free up some cash, and she's regretted it ever since. (also the second pair she sold)

The price you pay for them now is crazy! You won't ever loose money on them that's for sure...

PH2 172

It needs to look the part, so the "vintage" look is a must (her taste, and to fit in with the decor of the flat).

The issue is, I know zero about them or what's good and what's best avoided. Budget, around £100?

Cheers

I`m confused, are you looking for a deck to add to your separates, or an all in one Dansette replica?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
We have one of these, purely for decorative purposes. The sound quality is OK, it looks better than it sounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00990Z4W6/?tag=cliospnet01-21

bbea18fc7525be2f015bc985c528bc07.jpg

I learnt to mix on Pioneer CDJ's but my wife is old skool and disregards anything other than vinyl!

I award you 1210 points for having a winning wife!

Last time I looked, weren't they making a come back with a limited run of special edition/specced 1210's?

Vinyl is dangerous... I got my old turntables out of storage from my parents when I moved, having not used them for near on 15 years. Now our 3rd bedroom is like a museum for them

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I award you 1210 points for having a winning wife!

Last time I looked, weren't they making a come back with a limited run of special edition/specced 1210's?

Vinyl is dangerous... I got my old turntables out of storage from my parents when I moved, having not used them for near on 15 years. Now our 3rd bedroom is like a museum for them
She's an awesome lady! Kind of met through DJ'ing and back when it was open we even did a 'back to back's set in a club called 'Cable' in London! [emoji23]

Bare in mind we don't currently have any decks anymore her vinyl collection is a right pain in the arse, and our spare bedroom is full of it! It takes up even more room because supposedly you can't stack them flat because you'll 'warp them'

Happy Wife Happy Life or so I'm told...

skusey_

ClioSport Club Member
  OG Megane 250
For £200ish you can pick up a Audio Technica LP120, I've one in black and it looks identical to the Technics. Sound is pretty good and gives you a few options like rewind and 33/45 speeds, can also play 78's with the correct stylus I believe.

A cheaper option would be the LP60 at £99, not really sure how it performs in comparison but it does share a few of the same features that the LP120 has.

Technics 1210's

End of discussion... [emoji6]

It looks like something a DJ would use, that's fully not what I'm after.

I`m confused, are you looking for a deck to add to your separates, or an all in one Dansette replica?

Erm... what?!

I'm properly not an expert on this stuff.

For £200ish you can pick up a Audio Technica LP120, I've one in black and it looks identical to the Technics. Sound is pretty good and gives you a few options like rewind and 33/45 speeds, can also play 78's with the correct stylus I believe.

A cheaper option would be the LP60 at £99, not really sure how it performs in comparison but it does share a few of the same features that the LP120 has.

Again, both far too modern.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Being honest (and not trying to sound like a c**t but totally sounding like one anyway! lol) you're going to struggle to get anything that doesn't sound completely s**t with that budget and "vintage looking" constraints.

Buy the crosley and get yourself some earplugs!

PH2 172
Being honest (and not trying to sound like a c**t but totally sounding like one anyway! lol) you're going to struggle to get anything that doesn't sound completely s**t with that budget and "vintage looking" constraints.

Buy the crosley and get yourself some earplugs!

Push the boat out, Linn Sondec, Ittok arm, Naim amp with Isobarik`s, gold cables, wall mounted marble shelf and a Lingo power supply should sound acceptable, though a little over budget.:wink:
Very 80`s too.

Clio 197,with megan'
You forgot, you will need a decent Cartridge,M/C for that set up, and a phono pre amp. All this will be a bit over his budget!!. Have a look on Head-Fi.org, and see what might be available.

PH2 172

Cheers
Get her a radio.
Most women play the same record over & over & over again.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
The whole "vinyl is cool again" means there are so many f**king shite turntables being churned out for £100/200. If you want a decent player which will play decent music, you'll need to stump up a decent chunk of money.

Remember, s**t/ cheap turntables will f**k your records up. As @Sunglasses_Ron says, Technics are the balls.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-1200-mk2-/172727567115?hash=item28375d830b:g:CUIAAOSwlMFZOC1P
I paid £500 for a pair back in 2002/2003. Still have them, so looks like I'm sat on some profit ; )

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm hopefully once again about to become the proud owner of a set of Technics 1210 mk2's

Dug all my vynil out the loft yesterday to check they hadn't all warped in the heat. Thankfully they're all ok.

It's made we want decks again so I've been on the hunt.