ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Vintage" Camera

On a recent trip to Vienna, I visited a local flea market where, amongst plenty of junk, a TON of vintage Canon, Olympus, Minolta etc cameras were being sold for €30+.

I didn't end up buying one, as I wasn't confident any of them.were actually working.

I've spent the best part of the day looking on eBay and there seem to be plenty on there.

Does anyone have a vintage camera, and can point me towards a decent one? Obviously not expecting amazing picture quality, but wouldn't mine having one to play with as an alternative to the DSLR.

70-80's I think! Lovely camera and very well respected with the em name still living on. Couple that with a decent lens and some fujifilm and you'll be having a riot!

Awesome, cheers for that.

They look really smart and I'm going through a bit of a 'stale' patch with my DSLR, so thought something like this would be cool to have a play with!

2.2 bar shed.
Figure out what film format you want to short first. If I wanted something to mix it up from the norms of a DSLR I'd get something like a Mamiya C330?

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Go for a Nikon FM(2)/FE(2) or an Olympus OM-2(n). They're cheap and reliable cameras with built-in meter. Batteries (LR44) can be found anywhere and many lenses on the market.

You have to check the foams on the back door surrounding, if they're worn out your film will be ruined.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I have 2 Nikons SLRs (F50 & F70) that I will be putting up for sale soon. Its not exactly 'vintage', but both are very good cameras. If your interested I can put them up sooner rather than later.

I've been looking at Olympus OM-10's. They seem cheap enough and look cool. Anybody know if they are any good?

I've also noticed that most of the older cameras come with 50mm lenses - was that the norm back then?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Using a hand held light meter is much better, but if you're not confident use a built in one.

I actually used a built in meter on my final stuff in uni on medium format Mamiya, the pictures blew up to 2A0 so well. They were crisp as f**k.
Film > Digital tbh!

2.2 bar shed.
90% of the time I cant be arsed with a meter, I just use sunny 16.

I've been looking at Olympus OM-10's. They seem cheap enough and look cool. Anybody know if they are any good?

I've also noticed that most of the older cameras come with 50mm lenses - was that the norm back then?

It's the norm now as well if you shoot full frame. My ex had one, great camera. The 50 1.4 is fantastic.

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V

The OM-10 is also a good camera, I used one for years before having an OM-2n.
50mm is a focal length that provide a perspective similar to the human vision and it's easy to build a good quality one so it became the standard. Olympus 50mm 1.8 is cheap and very good, 1.4 is even better. A 28mm or 35mm makes a good second lens.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've an old Zenit camera from the Edwardian age. It was about 30 years old when I got it from my Dad one birthday and I think I was about 10 at the time ?

Probably worth about 14p but I'd never sell it !

What about trying pin hole cameras or other full on manual photography ?

:eek:

50mm is the full frame equivalent of 35mm.

So I managed to buy an Olympus OM-10 body only off of eBay for the grand total of... £5.50! Fully working, and cosmetically in pretty mint condition.

Just need to search for a suitable lens now and I'm set!

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Great ! :) You will easily find a 50mm 1.8 to begin. ;) If you want a wide angle I think I have some 28 or 35mm that I could sell. ;)

Adam I have an Olympus 50mm 1.8 in excellent condition, very sharp lens. Will happily send it to a good home if you cover postage!