ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibrations at 85mph+ :(

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Hey all Im in need of a bit of advice before i order 4 new tyres.

As some of you may know i bought the car with silver F1's which were spot on, no shakes, rattles or vibrations at any speed but i fancied a change and got them done black. Now obviously all the weights were took off for spraying which left them unbalanced.

I went a few days later got them balanced and took it out for a spin and there was vibrations at 85 mph+ went back and the guy said to rotate the wheels and you will prob see a difference but no difference.

So i went back and got them re-balanced and wheel alignment done but im still getting the vibrations.

Im about to get 4 new tyres as i was told considering all circumstances they could be twisted as it isnt a fault with the actual rims but is there anything else it could be because my current tyres have quite a bit of life left in them.

Mondeo TDCI 130
When you get the vibration, can you drive through it? as in if your wheels wobble at 85, do they stop at 90? wheel wobble goes after a short while, weirdly only happens at different speeds badly!

If its constant it may be another issue!

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
When you get the vibration, can you drive through it? as in if your wheels wobble at 85, do they stop at 90? wheel wobble goes after a short while, weirdly only happens at different speeds badly!

If its constant it may be another issue!

It keeps vibrating up to 115mph on my mates disused runway

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Is it only when acclerating? I have the same problem and have tried everything?

Well if im at 100mph and coming down il still get vibrations.

Its starting to piss me off tbh and i dont want to spend the money on tyres to find out its not them but like wtf else could it be ?

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Shouldn't!! You tried getting someone else to balance them?

I know the guy who balanced them hes a friend of a friend and its a proper machine hes using, it was down to 0+5 which he said would only affect you if you were doin 200mph !

BG 182
Switch the Rears with the Front for start, see if it makes any difference and check all wheel bolts are tight, they have a nasty habbit of working loose after being refurbed.

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Switch the Rears with the Front for start, see if it makes any difference and check all wheel bolts are tight, they have a nasty habbit of working loose after being refurbed.

Switched the wheels already and iv tightened the nuts good and proper at least 4 times fs :(

Gonna get a lend of a set of rims tomorrow and see what happens

SQ5
If you've switched them it should be ok. You would of noticed when balancing if they were buckled. I'm still trying to find out mine :(

Bumder With A Buffer
Ive noticed a rattle/weird noise ever since having my de-cat fitted. Im thinking it could be engine mounts though maybe.

BG 182
thought swapping the fronts to the back and the backs to the front was a bad idea...

Theres no reason what so ever that swapping fronts with rears is a bad idea as long as they are all balanced correctly...:S

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Pullin this thread up from the dead but you gotta hear this sh1t.

Got myself 4 new tyres ordered from ebay and im just back from getting then fitted and took a detour through that disused runway and managed to do 110mph with not a rattle, shake or nothing.

The reason for the problem was that whatever t**t sorted my wheels after the respray managed to get about 2 pints of water in one of the tyres which in turn made the whole car judder at 85mph+.

Lesson learnt but after 2 balances, 1 alignment and 4 new tyres im feeling a bit pissed off so im headin down on Monday to say a few choice words, rant over :)

120d M-Sport
No way was that the issue! Lol! Good to see its sorted now mate.

I have the same issue, as soon as i touch 80mph the car is vibrating like mad, my ears want to explode lol. My rear exhaust mount is shagged though so could it be the exhaust vibrating under high speed? Its a original 1 so heavy as fook :rasp:

Golf GTD Mk7
thought swapping the fronts to the back and the backs to the front was a bad idea...

You should keep reasonable tread on the rear really, but no problem with swapping what so ever. I change mine over after about 5-10K to get even wear all round :)

320d
Mine vibrates over 70mph, the better the road surface the less it is though, any idea's?

I'm going into Ryan K's NW Performance for a belts, service and mounts on Friday so I'll ask him to take a look at it.

Mine vibrates over 70mph, the better the road surface the less it is though, any idea's?

Not something I ever noticed on it mate? Maybe the roads are worse up north :lolup:
I found it solid as a rock even at silly speeds.

320d
Not something I ever noticed on it mate? Maybe the roads are worse up north :lolup:
I found it solid as a rock even at silly speeds.

It rattles a lot more now aswell. Roads up here are definately worse, a lot worse :(

Its stable though, very stable even at up to 120 jellybeans. I think it is just the roads, but i'm sure Ryan will shed some light on it.