ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibrating when braking hard

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I seem have a vibrating when I'm braking hard and ABS isn't kicking in. It kinda feels as if the car is wobbling. I can feel it through the steering too. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sounds like warped disks to me mate, especially if you can feel it through the steering wheel.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok .. well in that case, it sounds like warped discs.

Check for sticky calipers, but replace the discs/pads and don't sit on the brakes at the lights ;)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Ok .. well in that case, it sounds like warped discs.

Check for sticky calipers, but replace the discs/pads and don't sit on the brakes at the lights ;)

Warped discs is what a lot of people say. I read though.. it's really hard to actually warp your brake discs. I'll stop driving like a loon for a bit and brake lighter and earlier, rather than stomp on the brakes at the last minute. Could just be uneven wear on the pads? How much are new discs and pads for the fronts?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I get it sometimes on my 200. No doubt everyone will have a different way of going about it but I get the brakes hot after a few heavy ish braking sets & then drive for a while without using the brakes to let them cool. park without the h-brake on (leave it in gear).

Works for me.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I get it sometimes on my 200. No doubt everyone will have a different way of going about it but I get the brakes hot after a few heavy ish braking sets & then drive for a while without using the brakes to let them cool. park without the h-brake on (leave it in gear).

Works for me.

So thrash it, brake hard then don't use them and park without the handbrake on? Thank you.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
So thrash it, brake hard then don't use them and park without the handbrake on? Thank you.

Pretty much yeah, basically puts the brakes through a cycle & cleans off the disc. Problem occurs when sitting at traffic lights for example with hot brakes, the pads transfer to the disc.

Clio 172
Sounds like pad residue on discs tbh or "warping".

That was my thinking too :approve:
I would say OEM ones, but they squeal like hell even though there's probably a 1/3'rd left on them. I think they're cheapo's.

I've had problems in the past with some types of pads leaving deposits on the discs it's happened with cheap pads and also some "uprated" after market ones once I thought the car was going to fall apart the vibration was that bad changed pads problem sorted.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
That was my thinking too :approve:

I've had problems in the past with some types of pads leaving deposits on the discs it's happened with cheap pads and also some "uprated" after market ones once I thought the car was going to fall apart the vibration was that bad changed pads problem sorted.

Rears on my 200 do it all the time bud. Get on the anchors & it clears them off nicely.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Rears on my 200 do it all the time bud. Get on the anchors & it clears them off nicely.

I've got into the habit of using handbrake at lights, the brakes don't seem as bad now tbh. Much smoother, maybe I've cured it. Cheers dude! Will get some good pads next time, at next service.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I've experienced warped discs before, but never on something light like a Clio.

Are they shitty cheap discs? Perhaps there's a low point on one/both of them.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've got into the habit of using handbrake at lights, the brakes don't seem as bad now tbh. Much smoother, maybe I've cured it. Cheers dude! Will get some good pads next time, at next service.

No problem bud. Glad to of helped.