ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very Stuburn brake dust

My front passenger side wheel caked in brake dust that I cannot remove. I have soaked it in wonder wheels and it just won't budge. This came about after a track session that is particularly hard on that specific wheel so it will have gotten very hot.

Any good tips on how to remove the brake dust?? Cheers.

I had the same problem with brake dust that would not budge with bilberry etc.

I bought wonder wheels which is acidic, it got the crap off, i then polished and sealed the wheels with wax after.

Brick acid also works but anything acidic will slightly or heavily dull the lacquer but my one use of wonder wheels has been ok and the black spots are now gone, so just the once if nothing else with shift it should be fine.

Clio 172, Pug 106
I've always used bilberry wheel cleaner... I cleaned a car for a family member not so long back, was caked in braked dust due to loads of motorway miles, the bilberry just disintegrated the brake dust in minutes!!

Not cheap but well worth a look.... Get all my gear off www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if it's ssmall localised areas iron x paste, if it is wide spread stick to normal spray iron x.

I'm suprised we waited so long for ironx over wheel cleaners was posted. I'm not sure if brick acid was a serious suggestion or not?

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If they were track wheels you could try anything, if you actually care about them clean them normally then iron x them. Probably twice would be best.

Just been out again washing the car, and it really, really won't budge. Even when scratching with my nail.

Here are a few pics. Wonder wheels was left to soak on for a good 10mins and nothing:

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

See the difference in colour compared to the centre cap. This is the only wheel. The rest are all fine. Thinking I am going to have to have it refurbed :(

In the last picture looks like heavy sanding marks in the underneath filler? maybe DIY respray? so could be the lacquer gone funny?

Yes i suggested brick acid, seen a few people suggest it for heavily caked wheels, never tried it myself but thought id suggest seeing as you said track wheels to see what more experienced people said, seems its a no!

Hope iron x works for you mate, i need to get some more its great stuff.

In the last picture looks like heavy sanding marks in the underneath filler? maybe DIY respray? so could be the lacquer gone funny?

Agreeded. Look at the difference between colour of the alloy and the bolt cover/centre cap.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the dust or product has ate into the poor refurb possibly.