ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very Simple CCTV?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
After a spot of vandalism last night, which seems rather targeted, I want some manner of CCTV.

The thing is, I don't want all this fancy ass stuff. What I'd like is a wired camera (so I haven't got charge/add batteries) that records onto a large memory card (or even small hard drive) on a loop and just overwrites itself every 24 hours or so.

Does such a thing exist? Or has anyone got any budget alternatives? Literally all I want it to do is watch our small drive way, and be clear enough to recognise someone for my own purposes, couldn't care less if it's good enough for evidence or whatever.

Answers on a postcard. Ta.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
HIKVISION DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS

It's wifi and records to sd card. Powered by either 12v (doesn't come with one) or PoE (power over ethernet cable to your router/pc.

£125 on ebay.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
@McDrfitin - any reason why you couldn't use a Mobius dashcam, for example? Plugged into a power source in the home, 32GB memory card, could even set it to be triggered to record based on motion-detection I think.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
PoE sounds good actually, the router is right by that outside wall. I'll look in to that, thanks.

I've just got one, but not set it up yet. Had a look through the instructions and there's some good features on it.

There's a few videos on youtube showing the quality too.

There's 3 lens types. 2.8mm/4mm/6mm. The 2.8mm is the widest angle of view.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
@McDrfitin - any reason why you couldn't use a Mobius dashcam, for example? Plugged into a power source in the home, 32GB memory card, could even set it to be triggered to record based on motion-detection I think.

No reason other than the lack of night vision. See operation onion cam.

We have an extensive Swan system in our house. It's very very good. Motion sensor recording, infrared picture at night, records on loop on a hard drive Can look at the cameras from the app.

SQ5
We use HIKvision and wouldn't use anything else, SD card inside, POE injector and done! I'd recommend the Bullet style over a dome one as the IR glares inside at night.

You'll also get 4MP on the newer stuff, can log in externally etc...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
We use HIKvision and wouldn't use anything else, SD card inside, POE injector and done! I'd recommend the Bullet style over a dome one as the IR glares inside at night.

You'll also get 4MP on the newer stuff, can log in externally etc...
All I want Danny is the cheapest way to get a camera looking at the drive that keeps 24 hours of footage. Help me!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Can you hide a mic or two at the bottom of the garden / front of the drive? May help in confirming identity. Must be a lot easier too?

SQ5
Can you hide a mic or two at the bottom of the garden / front of the drive? May help in confirming identity. Must be a lot easier too?

You can but then you ideally need a DVR, external cameras don't have mics as they're open to elements but the internal ones do.

SQ5
All I want Danny is the cheapest way to get a camera looking at the drive that keeps 24 hours of footage. Help me!

Where you living now?

I could do this Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD-I 28 with a POE injector for £300 delivered

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe hide it (mic and or camera) on the car that is being vandalised? Run a wire through the engine bay and into the glove box? Power from a car battery inside the car. The mic could be hidden on the wiper and a basic rain shield used - wouldn't protect from condensation though, but could be really effective.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
simple? they couldn't be more simple to setup

and you can get a decent camera for £60

Depending if you have / want a pc on for the duration of the recording i use a simple HD IP camera from ebay (around £30) thats either 12v or PoE. I then have a small little pc set up out of the way that has iSpy (free version) set up on it. This records on motion or set times, you can even add webcams to it, mask areas of motion such as tree's etc.. Another advantage is that i can put the IP camera anywhere using some home plugs for example without running a wire to each one if it's not possible.

There is a cheap monthly pay version for a few more features but i just have teamviewer on for if i need to access the full machine and have Google Drive on sync with the folder for off site storage (the files are pretty small if just on motion and you can set a deletion period or even archive to a different folder after x days too).

Granted the PC (low powered) is on all the time however this machine also doubles up as a Plex server with a few shared folders i can access from my other pc's in the house and drop media files into that Plex then picks up.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
I may be able to assist with this topic. I work for ADT Fire & Security. If you need some prices or info?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
simple? they couldn't be more simple to setup

and you can get a decent camera for £60
I wanted to literally buy something for circa £100 that fulfilled my requirements out of the box. It didn't seem that simple at the time because I just couldn't be bothered with research etc.