ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very quick question - missing VIN plate.

Lots of Alfas
I dont think so, they just have the sticker on the pillar and some have the vin number displayed in the front windscreen I think.

BMW M135i
If you mean the oval plate sticker is gone off the drivers pillar theres a plaque on the top of the dash visible through the bottom right of the windscreen as you look at it and its stamped on the chassis under the drivers seat.

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
If you mean the oval plate sticker is gone off the drivers pillar theres a plaque on the top of the dash visible through the bottom right of the windscreen as you look at it and its stamped on the chassis under the drivers seat.

Cool. I'll have a look.

RS Clio 182
There should be no reason - other than for dubious reasons - to remove a VIN plate - that is if one is fitted in the first place.
The French have usually done their own thing and not conformed to vehicle identification regulations, i.e. most manufacturers use a stamped in number to identify the engine but the French use a small single riveted metal plate! The door pillar VIN sticker has replaced the traditional metal riveted VIN plate and is not as easy to remove as a metal VIN plate. The VIN sticker is designed to "self destruct" - it cannot be removed intact and will simply break into small bits should you try and remove it.
The stamped in VIN is usually found on an accesible place on the offside of the vehicle. Again the French use a "dot matrix" system of stamping and it is commonly found on the front offside suspension turret of older cars.
The build plate also helps identify the car.
Manufacturers also use various "hidden" identification numbers that are not generaly disclosed.