ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very low idle when using A/C MK2 Clio Campus Sport - Is this normal?

Clio Campus Sport
I had the air con re-gassed last summer on my MK2 Clio Campus Sport, only managed to use it a couple times so never noticed but been using it quite a bit over the past few weeks. When using the air con and the car is up to temperature, the car idles seemingly very low around 500 RPM and it sounds quite rough, only way to describe it really it sounds like an old diesel, putting the car under any more load, turning the AC up to high or putting the lights for example, brings the idle just below 500 RPM. I know the AC does take some power out of the engine however when driving with the AC on the car seems to be hesitant and doesn't really want to accelerate like it normally does, I replaced the battery just before Christmas last year since it still had it's original one. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this or whether this is just a normal idle when the AC is on?

The only car I've driven with AC was some Renault Symbol thing abroad (basically a booted Clio, from what I could tell).

That was noticeably slower / less powerful with the AC on! lol