ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VERY long distance drive - checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm planning a trip next summer in the car. it will be about 4,000 miles in total and i'm thinking about what needs to be done to the car to make sure that so much driving over the space of about 2 weeks won't kill it.

things i need to do anyway:
new tyres
full service
fix aircon
CV boots

things to do maybe:
Headlight refurb
Fluid change (brakes and steering)
new rear discs and pads
aero flat blades
full clean and wax

Worth doing maaaybe?:
Clean the fuel tank
steering wheel cover (will get heavy melting)
replace fuses
clutch cable
braided brake hoses (brakes feel a bit spongey despite new front discs and pads. not sure if braided lines are standard)

anything in there that definitely wont need doing, or anything i'm missing?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Not sure if serious?

Half of that doesn't need doing, just because you are doing 4k in 2 weeks. If it's working as it is, just leave it working! Lol.

Fluid change, oil filter etc, check other wear items yes. But things like fuel tank clean. No. Clutch cable, unless it is giving you problems. No. Fuses. No.

Unless you're travelling to the third world, there are mechanics abroad. I'd probably just get decent AA / RAC cover for here and abroad. Job done.

Just paranoid. Drove to the south of France last year and alternator belt went. Massively screwed things up as French mechanics like looooon lunch breaks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Check the oil, check the water, check all your lights fill up with fuel and go.

If the car needs brakes, servicing, etc etc before you go, just do it in schedule with the last service.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I picked up a puncture the night before driving to scotland.

Give the wheel nuts a quick check to make sure they're still tight. We do that before every race and I do it every week, but obviously with the rate you'll be racking up miles it's a good thing to check beforehand.

Evo
I did a 3k drive round Europe in my 100k ph1 last year. Just checked tyres, fluids and bulbs the night before leaving. It was faultless including 5 laps of the ring and a days hooning it up and down stelvios in plus 30 degree heat.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Tyre pressure's? Other than that the things that have been previously said. If you are going Europe you have to take fuses/bulbs etc with you anyway so wouldn't bother changing them as a precaution

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The more you think about it the more you will think stuff will go wrong.

Before I did 2k last summer I changed my oil and made sure my tyres were all jolly.

Just get ADAC cover, it's dirt cheap and is full Europe cover

BG Clio 182 FF
Basic checks - oil level (top up in the boot), check coolant, check brakes, check wheel bearings, check tyre pressures, check wheel bolts. Take a set of assorted fuses and relays and bulbs. Basic toolkit and jack (don't go nuts - basic spanners/sockets/cable ties/jubilees/gaffa tape - 5 drawer roller cabinet can stay at home ;) ).

Check relevant laws in the country's your driving through with regards to first aid kits, warning triangles, display of "GB" sign.

Good breakdown cover.

I drove to Poland and back fairly recently (not in the Clio though) and those were the basic things I checked. LOL'd at braided hoses and cleaning the fuel tank :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've got free ADAC full europe cover with my insurance, and the ST came with a years full europe cover to. Double bagging FTW.

I did consider buying another ST to tow around with me incase it broke to.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if serious?

Half of that doesn't need doing, just because you are doing 4k in 2 weeks. If it's working as it is, just leave it working! Lol.

Fluid change, oil filter etc, check other wear items yes. But things like fuel tank clean. No. Clutch cable, unless it is giving you problems. No. Fuses. No.

Unless you're travelling to the third world, there are mechanics abroad. I'd probably just get decent AA / RAC cover for here and abroad. Job done.

Agree with this. You could change everything on that list but something else could easily go wrong...

After breaking down a couple of weeks ago 1h into France it might as well be 3rd world tbh. As said they like lunch but also most garages shut up shop for the whole of August. Broke in Abbeville and the nearest place that could look at it was Dieppe. Even with my breakdown cover that put me in a Hotel for the night etc it's stung me for around £400 for a faulty earth in the end.
It's not like here where the AA would try and fix it at the side of the road....

BG Clio 182 FF
I've got free ADAC full europe cover with my insurance, and the ST came with a years full europe cover to. Double bagging FTW.

I did consider buying another ST to tow around with me incase it broke to.

Love that!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
adding to my 2 checks. Just drive your car and notice if there is anything you're uneasy about. Have it done if you're worried.

Otherwise just go. I would have no concerns about setting off tomorrow for 4k. Look at some of the hilarious rallies in £100 cars!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Fuses? Seriously? You do realise that a fuse is just a piece of metal in a plastic case, that will only blow if there is a fault with the car? They aren't a serviceable item and the only time you need to replace a fuse is when it has actually blown.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I did 900 miles last weekend and all I did was refuel when needed. Seriously as Daniel says service it when needed, and then just check fluid levels and tyre pressures before you go.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
looking through my cars service history it's only ever had regular servicing over its 10 years and nothing has fallen off yet (only on 178,000).

I did 4k miles and 4 track days in a car I built myself , you will be fine , just make sure you have breakdown cover and enjoy your trip

Unless the car is a tvr (you didnt say what it is ) and if so stay home

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Did 1600 miles around France, checked fuk all apart the oil and tyre pressure before we left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most sensible cars have service intervals of at least 12,000m. Some much larger. If it's an Evo FQ400 then I'd have it serviced before you go. Otherwise just check fluids and tyre pressures, as you should do quite regularly anyway.

Lol at clean the fuel tank.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Anything that's due, any niggling faults that may cause issue within 4k (the very beginning of a worn wheel bearing or lowish pads for example) that you might leave normally, tyres if they will be close enough to the wear bars to make you uncomfortable about being pulled and any normal weekly checks. Doing long journeys with everything all warm is far less strenuous on a car than lots and lots of horrible short journeys!

Cheers for the help guys. some really helpful comments, some comments that you'd expect from people not old enough to drive yet.

I feel my questions were justified. I've had 2 fuses blow on me since owning the car, both times stopping the car from starting. and to add to that, ive also had to pay to rebuild the top end to the tune of £1,500, so you can see why I am being cautious. its what the forum is for eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.