ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vee vs alfa 147 gta

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I did a shoot on one of these, stunning cars!!

DSC_0936.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

there mint pics mate, im sure they were on the windscreen of a gta at the "Northern Alfa Day" a couple of weeks ago....

Honda S2000
Love these Alfa's
Clio should be faster as the alfa is meant to have to much power for fwd, would still have one anyday thou

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

Top gear have had the 182 cup, v6 mk2 and alfa gta round the track

The clio's are quicker there the 182 is no.114, GTA is no.123 and the V6 is 124 but in the wet

All great cars thou

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Ive been in an autodelta supercharged one along with standard and both are silly. The autodelta version is just silly silly fast.

As for interior I love our 147 for it. Probably one of the nicest places to be. Bose system and momo leather to boot is a big bonus.

I say go for a gta but get a upgraded diff fitted for £500 which most have had do e anyway and you'd be safe as houses with it.

clio rs
iv always rememberd afla's seens i was young as rust buckets, that no body buys and they loose value like anything.
But the gta overcomes them all. So maybe, thing i need to speck to jamie aboout

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Alfas are reliable now days. Don't listen to the folk who give it " oh my mate had one and this went wrong and that went wrong" most is b****cks and unfortunitely it's followed the manufacture and will probably carry on to do so.

Shame bacause we've had over 16k of troble free motoring. Service and look after them and they are spot on.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Very true rory. My dad has had nothing but alfas for the last 16 ish years and not one breakdown and all 3 of his have been bought second hand.

I am taking mine to the ring in 3 weeks with 2 other gtas can't eait

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Very true rory. My dad has had nothing but alfas for the last 16 ish years and not one breakdown and all 3 of his have been bought second hand.

I am taking mine to the ring in 3 weeks with 2 other gtas can't eait

clio rs
so jamie wats the car like on fuel. Not sure if ur a clio RS owner, how wud u compare both. Iv seen afew topgear clips on youtube, clarkson likes it but not keen on buying one. I wont have patients to take days off work to go dealers to get things done

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
The V6 alfa engine is reliable long as it's serviced. Am I right in thinking it's originally a GM motor with some tweeks?

The diff is the main problem on them but like I said most have been changed to Q2 ones. Think that's the right one. If not it's only £500 for them fitted.

Don't worry about fuel mate. You only live once ;)

@jamier.

We have a selespeed 147 and it's never hinted a problem. You read horror storys about them but it's luck of the draw. It's like playing a playstation game with the paddles. Auto blipping on down shifts is just sexy stuff lol

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
so jamie wats the car like on fuel. Not sure if ur a clio RS owner, how wud u compare both. Iv seen afew topgear clips on youtube, clarkson likes it but not keen on buying one. I wont have patients to take days off work to go dealers to get things done

fuel will be very similar to the vee... all depends on what roads you drive on and driving style. If you are using cruise control at say 75-80 mph you can get 350 miles to £55 (premium fuel).. but thats no fun. I had an r27 for a few months from new.. and loved it but mpg on it just was poor. Now i dont mind a car that does 10mpg as i only use it at weekends, but it needs the performance to match it. I found with the 197 26mpg ish was about all i got and for a little 2.0 i thought was poor and frustrating. I get 22-25 in the gta but i never try and be economical with it, and thats mostly urban driving. (still cant get enough of the sound of the v6). It will run smooth at 20mph in 6th if you want to keep the mpg closer to the 30's.
The only problems with mine is a xenon light is out and aircon pipe has split (unusual fault) but it was like that when i bought it. And have just got round to getting a replacement. minor stuff.
The V6 is faultless and honestly bullet proof! Please dont listen to people who are just going by hearsay.. Alfas are no more unreliable than a renault. Get a well sorted one and you will have no problem. There are a few neglected ones out there no doubt, just make sure they have full history including at least one cambelt change as they are all 3yrs+ now.
Some people might fob you off and say the cambelt doesnt need done til 72k/6 year.. as it says in handbook :rolleyes:. they have been known to fail at 5years and 40k. Its not just the mileage that is the problem, age causes the tensioners to deteriorate too. When the cambelt has been done its usually advised to get the water pump impellor changed to the gtv v6 one, as the gta one is plastic and is can fail... just saves labour costs if it does fail.
So like i say nearly all gta's now have them done anyway. So thats the engine sorted!
I know it sounds alot but its only really the cambelt that causes engine problems, same with most cars :approve:
Im sure theres many clios who have suffered cambelt snappage..:evil:
The other achllies heel is the diff, its just not designed to take the 250 stallions. So the q2 LSD diff is advisable, more and more gta owners are getting it fitted, not only to avoid failure, but it removes any criticism of the handling and if it had it fitted from new the top gear review. Im sure it would have been on top. :approve:

The V6 alfa engine is reliable long as it's serviced. Am I right in thinking it's originally a GM motor with some tweeks?

The diff is the main problem on them but like I said most have been changed to Q2 ones. Think that's the right one. If not it's only £500 for them fitted.

Don't worry about fuel mate. You only live once ;)

@jamier.

We have a selespeed 147 and it's never hinted a problem. You read horror storys about them but it's luck of the draw. It's like playing a playstation game with the paddles. Auto blipping on down shifts is just sexy stuff lol

The q2 diff was about £500 fitted but its creeping up all the time due to the demand for it :(

only drove one selespeed, and just couldnt get the hang of if :eek: albeit drove it for 5 miles... great cars though..
bring on the mito gta!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I'd love the mito gta. Sorta a shame they dropped the v6 from it. That would have been a ment little V6 rocket. Still, mito in White with good set of wheels look amazing

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
its a shame about the v6, but i dont think it would work, as with the mito they are trying to reduce emmissions and keep the weight down.. and theres only one way to do that..
1750 cc turbo..... 240bhp 1100kg............

The 147 gta was probably the first and last v6 fwd hatch... even the next golf "r" will be a 2litre turbo (S3 sourced)

Titanium 182 FF
alfa v6's in all format's are in my humble opinion one of the best looking and sounding units mass produced! i love em

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Yeah I remember that episode, the main thing that let the gta down was the lack of the q2 LSD

Clio 172 Cup
A cup could never hassle a GTA in twisties, straights whatever.

No way!

My phase 1 danced all over a GTA on track, 1*2 has no chance in a straight line but the alfa has around 250bhp and no slippy diff, no worrys getting past one out of a bend or pulling on them through the corners.

tom

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
That's why people for the Q2 diffs to them. Makes them animals in twisties.

Even our 2l sele is fun in twisties after a 30mm drop. Just waaayyyyy down on power compared to the gta

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My phase 1 danced all over a GTA on track, 1*2 has no chance in a straight line but the alfa has around 250bhp and no slippy diff, no worrys getting past one out of a bend or pulling on them through the corners.

tom

With the right driver i doubt it, each to there own and all that

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
ive had a run out with some cliosport guys and we did open the cars up (in a safe environment) and in no way did i remotely struggle to keep up through the twisties... no doubt they will say they werent trying... but then niether was i ...:rasp:

Italian 3.2 V6
theres a turd white GTA around my area.. lookd at it a couple times.. danced all around it tho when it attemped ot take me on.. slow as f**k!

172 = RAPID!!! bye bye GTA...

oh yea and sounds like a 50cc scooter..

hahaha ;)

(one day maby) we will see how it goes when i TRY and burn u off on the 1/4mile strip cuz ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  MCS R56
That's why people for the Q2 diffs to them. Makes them animals in twisties.

Even our 2l sele is fun in twisties after a 30mm drop. Just waaayyyyy down on power compared to the gta

So they need modded to handle the power?

It's all relative.

Lovely cars but I still reckon a Cup would be right with one. Look at the 200 v New RS. It's not all about power.

Italian 3.2 V6
172/182 with throttle bodies / ferrodo pads / eibech springs = bye bye gta ith q2 n ebiechs n bigger brakes

;)

but if i had the money id get a GTA anyday...

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
So they need modded to handle the power?

It's all relative.

Lovely cars but I still reckon a Cup would be right with one. Look at the 200 v New RS. It's not all about power.

correct yep they do need a little help to control the beast.

the new 200 does look mighty impressive

Alfa 147 GTA
just seen this (cheers jamie found it from the alfa forum). I went from a clio 16v to an Alfa 147 GTA... bit of a change I can tell you. I agree with all the comments made, I have the Q2 diff fitted makes a big difference.

I find its always CTR drivers who try it on, which the Alfa makes mince meat of. Never really had a good play on B roads with any other reasonable hot hatch. My only issue is that I can never, and won't, push the car too hard. Somehow it deserves more respect, and that's what I miss from throwing the old valver around. Though you feel so good driving it, proud to walk back to it from the petrol kiosk.

After over 2 years of ownership I'm now looking for a 182 trophy so I can start doing trackdays and regain, to coin the EVO tagline, the "thrill of driving" again. So happy to have owned a big engined small car though, something you just won't be able to do in the future