ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vavler water pump help !!!

We have removed 7 of the 9 bolts holding the pump to the engine but cant get to the other 2 !! They are hidden behind a pulley and other metal casting thing !! any idea how to reach these bolts ????

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

All I do know is its a bugger. Part dont cost much but BB had fun and games swapping mine when they noticed it needing doing at time of cambelt change.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

personally its easier (IMO) to lift the engine they you have good access and have then I can get the torque wrench in to go it all up properally...

the other two bolts you talk about are behind the pas pump braked as far as i remember... so that needs to be moved.... (see changing PAS pump)...

big job.... like I say easier to lift engine

Andy

GDI

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

have you removed the water pump pulley to give you more room(held on by three 13m bolts).the bolts are probably covered by the timing cover or an accesories bracket for the pas pump.either get in with a spanner or remove the bracket.removing the engine mount and jacking the engine up slightly might help.can you post any actual pics as its been a while since ive changed a water pump on a valver and i cant remember.i think there tight but i cant remember having to remove any brackets.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

gimme a call mate.... might be able to talk you through it.... otherwise we can help.

Andy

GDI

07010 716 440

removed the water pump pulley and the PAS pump pulley !! But there is a smaller pulley further in the bay which is restricting the access to it !! There is a big metal casting on the front of the engine which the pump is bolted to then the casting is bolted to the engine !! Do i need to remove the casting ?? or do i just need to remove the smaller pulley ?? The pulley i am on about is the tensioner pulley with the 7mm allen key in the middle !! There seems to be a slot where the pulley sits and i can see the two bolts but cannot get to them !!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you can remove the pulley completly but there is a captive nut on the other side of the bracket which you will need to hold in place when you refit the pulley.can be awkward to get to.

any idea on how to remove the pulley ? Ive got the 7mm allen key in the middle and the open ended spanner on it but it seems to stop once the belt is slack !!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the 7m allen key bolt goes straight through and screws into the captive nut behind the bracket.completly remove the 7m allen key bolt.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

looking at the pic it looks like the front pas pump bracket has to be removed if there is no way you can get a spanner up behind the bracket to the water pump bolts.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

braket behind pully removed needs to come off, of move to get at last two bolts...

got lots of pics, if you need more

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

its held on with about 5 16mm bolts.... takes 6 hrs to change a PAS pump (which this job really involes) on its own... with the engine in the car...

you need to remove the head light and grille and rad and bonnet

Yeah the headlight is off, bonnet is off, grille is off, rad is out the way ish !! So that casting has gotta come off which the PAS pump is held in ??

Any other worthwhile jobs while im at it ?? Ive done coolent already..

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

well the coolant is going to come out anyway mate when the pump is removed!!! doh!

aux tensioner

cam belt

cam belt tensioners

change the pas fluid, as the pas pump will more than likely need to come off which, means splitting the metal pipe to remove it!!!

oil filter when your down there as its much easier to get at.

its probably the worst job to do in the car, next to a starter motor change when all the heat sheilds are there

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

nice one mate... pleased you got it sorted... did the pics help in the end..

its all nicly packed in eh!!!

Andy

GDI