ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

valvers bottomless moneypit??

clio 16v
Ok i've had my valver for about three months and I've had nothing but problems! I've had two other before this one so I know they are expensive to run but this one is taking the biscuit. Replaced do far:

front and rear shockers
front and rear brake pads
front and rear discs
both front wheel bearings
one of the cv joints
the four bolts that holds the rear caliper mount to the rear beam snapped :had to be drilled out and replaced
4 tyres
just had the power steering rack replaced
and now I've discovered the power steering pump is leeking fluid and probably needs replaced!!

I know most of the above is just wear and tear but my wallet is really starting to feel the strain!

Does anyone else's valver eat money??

I remember these sad sad days when the valver would cost me s**t loads each month it seemed. Once I had spent a bit on it I felt i needed to keep it to make the expence worth while but then that week something else would go wrong.

The valver has been my fav car that I have owned but the biggest money drain i have ever had

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
mine hasnt cost me much, i suppose it depends on what kind of life and how well mainted it has been.
i know that Tom_16v's hasnt cost him much either, its just like anything, you get some goodun's and badun's!

Think of it this way - once it's all done and you've fixed everything it should run for another few years perfectly, meaning you can enjoy your 'investment' :cool:

clio 16v
"some goodun's and badun's!"

I though this was a good one, fair enough it's a K plate so it's pretty old but im only the third owner I bought it off a priest (seriously I s**t u not)
It's only done 82,000 with full renault service history, so I suppose age is starting to take it's toll. I've had a cav gsi the past three years with no major problems but I longed to have a french pocket rocket again (as I had 2 valvers before the cav). Boy am I regretting it, think I might sell it and buy a astra gsi or a 306 gti6.

Anyone know what the reliabilty is like on the 306 gti6's?

I had a 205 1.9 gti which was as fragile as the valver, have peugeot got their act together with the 306?

mine was a goodun on paper but in reality it was a badun.

Mine was a one previous lady owner k plater with 70k odd on the clock FSH

clio 16v
mine was a goodun on paper but in reality it was a badun.

Mine was a one previous lady owner k plater with 70k odd on the clock FSH

see that's the problem with valver's even if your experienced with them and know exactly what to look for when buying them u can still endup with a bad one. It's so annoying expecially when I took two mates with me who are both mechanics, we checked it over for a good hour. Then as soon as I got it home one of the front wheelbearings went and it's been problems ever since. It will redeem itself if it beats my mates 106 gti up the 1/4 mile next sunday! lol

535d / t5 caravelle
no problems with my valver, had 60 thousand hard miles put on it from me, and no problems with the willy ( touch wood ) on 96k now!

Lionel Richie
absolute money pit! yoz spent nigh on £2K on his black one in the short period he had it, but that includes having all the rust removed and virtually all mechanical parts changed

Clio 172 mk2
My old Renault 19 would have periods of bleeding my dry...on the whole though it wasn't too bad for an old K reg car.

Civic Si
on my williams 2, i seem to replace 1-2 bad/broken parts with new ones...

and i swear these new parts put more strain on every other old part on the car and cause them to brake! :(

Saxo VTS
Complete money pits tbh.

Had a MK1 1.4 RT and ok the HG went but after that it drove like a dream most days and was cheap an easy to fix.

Yet in the 10 month space I've owned the Valver it's needed:

New gearbox
New driveshaft
New power steering pump
New altenator
New engine mount
New exhaust
New tyres
New brakes, pads and bearings
New springs
Steering column welding

And funnily enough I've just had to walk seven miles home as the clutch cable has snapped.

It isn't even a shitter. Just stuff seems to love breaking and I'm now at the point where it's not worth selling.

Complete t**t of a car, but look ace and drive ace when they frigging work.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i got my valver for just over £700

the rocker cover gasket failed. £20odd to fix... thats it i think :D done 102k miles now too

Clio 172 mk2
Complete money pits tbh.

Had a MK1 1.4 RT and ok the HG went but after that it drove like a dream most days and was cheap an easy to fix.

New gearbox
New driveshaft
New power steering pump
New altenator
New engine mount
New exhaust
New tyres
New springs
Steering column welding

And funnily enough I've just had to walk seven miles home as the clutch cable has snapped.

It isn't even a s**tter. Just stuff seems to love breaking and I'm now at the point where it's not worth selling.

That is a hell of a lot of stuff to go wrong in 10 months:eek:

Had mine for 4 months now, all Ive had to do is new discs and pads, cambelt and a service!!! Only had 67k on the clock when I bought it with full Renault Service History

535d / t5 caravelle
there no different than any other hot hatch, they all brake at some point, as said there are some good uns and some bad uns, bear in mind how old these cars are now, there bound to need maintenance every now and again, i had a 205 1.9 gti,sorrento green, one lady owner previous to me, 40 k on the clock, every single receipt from new, and i had nothing but massive bills every month for stuff going wrong with the car, sold it at 68k and it still needed the oil seals doing along with other things, and this pug was as mint as they come, so it happens!

I don't think that they are real money pits tbh, sure you get some bad & some good cars - just make sure that you buy a good one, otherwise it will turni into a bottomless money pit (as will every other car which you wnt to keep in tip top condition)

In the three years I had mine, I prob spent no more than £1500 on it - including getting the engine changed (cost £600) when it died on me.

I always keep my cars up to a very high standard, if any one remembers the pics on here of my cars you'll know what i'm on about. So it's not like I scrimped on the cost of it at all.

Saxo VTS
Complete money pits tbh.

New gearbox
New driveshaft
New power steering pump
New altenator
New engine mount
New exhaust
New tyres
New springs
Steering column welding

It isn't even a s**tter. Just stuff seems to love breaking and I'm now at the point where it's not worth selling.

That is a hell of a lot of stuff to go wrong in 10 months:eek:

Yup.

Each bit has a story so I'll explain.

Gearbox: This went on the M5 motorway about 2 months after I got the car. The box was a smooth refurb unit on about 10k miles and was starting to pop out of 5th so I was driving to get it sorted, but too late. It turns out it had been leaking gearbox oil through a split gaiter on the driveshaft.

Driveshaft: This ws replaced after still leaking and almost killing my new box (new but crap)

Power steering pump: When i bought the car it was rather noisy and the PAs obviously needed sorting and one day it randomly imploded or some s**t leaking PAS fluid all over my altenator.

Altenator: This was cleaned up after the PAS experience but eventualy died a few months later leaving me stranded on one of busiest roads in Devon. Charming.

Engine mount: Was replaced due to being 'broken'. Made f**k all difference really so is no doubt another mount that's shot.

Exhaust: Car came with some b*****d kev exhaust (only non standard item though I might add) so I had to buy a new backbox (swiped from my old Clio) just for the centre section to break.

New tyres: Needed for MoT due to tracking being out. Nothing too major really.

New brake rotors, pads and bearings: MoT place fucked up and said I needed new ones. Old ones were good enough. They were being too picky imo. So obviously needed new bearings cause of the gay Renault design.

New front springs: i tell a lie, the car was also lowered when i bought it and some b**ch forced me over a pot hole which subsiquently snapped one of my springs. Not too bad and replaced them myself.

Steering colum: Another one of those common problems. Did actualy order a brand new unit from Renault but they fucked up and I needed it doing for my moT so welded for the pricely sum of £0 and about 10 minutes of my dads time lol.

Clutch cable: Snapped yesterday. Bit of a t**t but should be at the garage now being fixed.

I'm still to this day so pissed off I never sorted the gearbox as imo this car would be so much smoother with the old box and clutch setup.

On the flipside though everything has been replaced with either brand new genuine or brand new pattern parts, so every cloud and all thatn s**t.

but I do owe my dad about £700 for parts and stuff and most of the money from selling my old Clio went towards this one with oil, battery, spark plugs, gearbox etc etc.

I'd say I've been unlucky in most cases, but then haven't skipped out anything when fixing the problem. No bodges or shortcuts, so eventualy she should come together as a really tight and nice car. Steering has improved 10x since I got her from all the bits and pieces I've changed on her.

DC2 Black Type Rx
Looks like you brought a sh1ter!!! Mine cost me nothing apart from new tyres, fuel and tax in a year of ownership!

Neil

george 172,205,metro
i dont think ive done to bad with mine i bought it for about 150 with a new set of wheels on and a knackerd engine (cambelt snapped and cracked head and piston lol) i bought a good engine with 70k on and put new head gasket,timing belt kit, clutch, water pump, plugs, oil filter,clutch big end shells ect while it was out then took it round brunters at FCS only thing that let me down was the power steering pressure switch.
in total whole car with virtually new engine in has cost me about 250 cus i sold the wheels now.
pretty pleased with it and i think im gonna put it on the road properly next month as i just sold 1 of my other cars.
i think the are good as long as u can do most things yourself.

MK1 Clio 16v
Owned mine for 2 years and it's on 120k, the only thing to go wrong on mine is the clutch, needed replacing.

Gearbox may have just died though, waiting to figure out whats wrong, but the engine has been absolutely spot on, and started first time every time since day 1. :)

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
yeah they are bad for it i have had 3 of them

dont know if they are any differant but the late ones like the m and n plates seam a lot better

SC 172 FF
had my williams about yr and half now....in that time its been off the road about 5 months lol

had

cam belt changed
new gear box
new clutch
4 new tyers
complete new exhaust ( old 1 had rusted 2 f**k )
new disks and pads ALL ROUND
new front springs
new thermostat
wheels refurbed

its goin in the garage in a couple of weeks for MOT and this is whats gona be done on it

aux belt changed
reverse light switch
fit new calipers
renew suspension ( shocks etc )
new alarm fitted as old one is shot

also need my arches doin ASAP!

bottomless money pits they are.....but there worth it imo!

Ok i've had my valver for about three months and I've had nothing but problems! I've had two other before this one so I know they are expensive to run but this one is taking the biscuit. Replaced do far:

front and rear shockers
front and rear brake pads
front and rear discs
both front wheel bearings
one of the cv joints
the four bolts that holds the rear caliper mount to the rear beam snapped :had to be drilled out and replaced
4 tyres
just had the power steering rack replaced
and now I've discovered the power steering pump is leeking fluid and probably needs replaced!!

I know most of the above is just wear and tear but my wallet is really starting to feel the strain!

Does anyone else's valver eat money??

Shouldnt have bought an old POS Renault..

M

Mark E-J

i bought my valver in september

and parts i have repalced are as follows!

some parts havent needed to be changed was just my prefference as i see prevention is better than cure

i love my car so much, its not about money its about her being mint!

wishbone assembleys x2
rear engine mount (dog bone)
top engine mount
strut top mounts x2
strut top bearings x2
anti roll bar droplinks+ bushes
c/v/boot repair kit
magnecor 8.5 (red leads)
denso irridium plugs
oil filter
oil
clutch
clutch cable
fresh gearbox oil
sump washer
new speedo bulbs all round
dizzy cap
4 new nankang 195/45/16 tyres
set of 16 inch alloy wheels (4 wheels)
new catyletic convertor
new centre exhaust section as i had a dect pipe welded to the old one
new alpine front speakers (fitted)
new alpine 6x9's (not fitted yet)
passenger side track rod
passenger side track rod end
power steering pump
new ball joint bolts
new electric window switches and plastics
new locking wheel nuts
new gear lever gaitor
new gear suround
auminium door pins

i really dont care how much i spend i love my valver more than my mrs

They are truly great when they are running well :cool:

they just cost a fecking fortune to keep in tip-top condition, which you have to do as they hate you and run like s**t otherwise lol

I think I bought mine for £1.5k.

I've since spent out on:

Yozzasport brakes
Got the rust done
Need to get it done in different areas now
lots of servicing (damn 6k miles intervals)
cambelt
complete suspension refresh, including all bushes, springs, dampers, wishbones, ARB, driveshafts, top mounts
all engine mounts
waterpump
exhaust
battery
tyres
rear calipers (need a new set again I think...)
clutch cable
steering column
I think the power steering pump is on the way out

And I'm sure there's more I'm missing out...

Had mine for 4 months now, all Ive had to do is new discs and pads, cambelt and a service!!! Only had 67k on the clock when I bought it with full Renault Service History

Since I made the above quote, my clutch went!!! Really pissed me off, hence why its now up for sale before I have to spend more money on it!

M

Mark E-J

gutted for u m8

clutch is very expensive job as i found out one garage quoted me £570 with me supplying the clutch as its a 12.5 hour job and apparently u have to drop the bed and its a b**ch to do

stan did mine for me in 1 day total legend that was clutch,clutch cable and fresh gearbox oil and was less than half the price