ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver question

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
When i put my foot to the floor in 1st gear it accelerates upto 4,000 revs fine n seems to lag a bit when it hits between 4,000 and 5,000,any ideas?thought it could be a fuel problem,possibly clutch,but it doesnt seem to slip n when i try setting off in fourth with handbrake on it cuts straight out,?cheers lads

Is the engine hot or straight from cold?

Mine hates to rev past about 2.5-3k until it's warmed through!

Does it only do it in first gear or all of the gears as you go up through the box at speed?

just first i think,n it does it sometimes n not others
both when its warm,cheers,

well in the past month its had oil/oil filter/fuel filter,and plugs?so tht leaves dizzy cap leads n rotor arm,may aswell replace them anyway,

If it's holding back then it makes me think it's something to do with fueling, so yeah, I'd try leads and dizzy. More expense though :(

And do the air filter as well as if that's blocked then it won't get enough air.

Other than that I have no idea. We need a hands on person on this thread! (I'm a chequebook mechanic :p lol)

lol,u got anybody in mind,well more ppl wil have sin thread by tonight,cheers m8,(when u say dizzy,do u mean the actual cap or dizzy itself)

Ingram said:
when i try setting off in fourth with handbrake on it cuts straight out,?cheers lads

Am I misseing something or are you saying you try pulling away in fourth gear with the handbrake on and you are surprised that it cuts out??

i didnt say i was surprised it cuts out,just checking tht revs didnt fly up when doing so,determining weither the clutch is slipping son??

ah ok, sorry. As White16Valver said, try air filter first, then leads and dizzy cap. Also might be worth checking over your exhaust system, especially near the manifold as if its leaking that could cause problems.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
theduckeatspork said:
Also might be worth checking over your exhaust system, especially near the manifold as if its leaking that could cause problems.

Bingo!!
I have been searching the forum for the last hour.. lol

I think i have this problem! got a de-cat to fit so will take a look this weekend!