ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

valver much slower after pipercross fitted

Clio 1.8 16v & AX GT
My '94 valver is noticably slower now after i fitted a pipercross induction kit. the car doesnt pull anywhere near as well as it did before. would this be due to it taking in hot air instead of cold as with the original airbox? can i sort this by jst having a good cold air feed as i dont want to get rid of the pipercross because of the lush noise it makes! thanks...:approve:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It may well be due to heat soak but ambient temperatures are decreasing by the day. Bear in mind that the Pipercross will most probably have a larger surface area than your standard filter meaning the ECU might not be fuelling correctly.

If I were you, I would knock up some form of aluminium heat shield (something similar to the Hill Power setup) with a decent cold air feed. I would then leave the ECU disconnected over night and take it for a good shoeing the next day. This should allow your ECU to re-adjust to it's new variables much quicker than regular driving.

Clio 1.8 16v & AX GT
ye iv made a shield which surrounds the back of the filter and some of the top because i know the exhaust manifold gives off alot of heat. so by unplugging my ecu over night and running it hard the next day, the ecu will actually adjust itself and the power will be restored? cheers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
ye iv made a shield which surrounds the back of the filter and some of the top because i know the exhaust manifold gives off alot of heat. so by unplugging my ecu over night and running it hard the next day, the ecu will actually adjust itself and the power will be restored? cheers.
Re-setting the ECU will/may not restore lost power but it will allow the car to adjust to a new set of 'rules' much quicker as the car is essentially a blank canvas. If you were to run the car normally, it would take hundereds of miles to gradually adjust to the new information.

As Stan says, std airbox with foam panel and uprated feed. Job done.