ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VAG owner here looking at coming over to the frog side!

Clio 172
Hi everyone,

Here to have a good look around and learn as much as I can about 172s.. Im currently driving a Golf GTi 1.8t which I have up for sale. Ive been offered what looks like a nice example of a 172 and am keen to learn what I can about them to avoid any expensive bills ahead.

Thanks in advance, all!

Andy
PS For info, here is a pic of my current Golf

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

GTD, Lupo
Welcome. :D

I too came from the Vag "scene" to the french side and so far have not regreted it. Not quite so many people with massive egos here as there is in the VW world ;) but there are still one or two (lots) :cool:

I had a Mk2 valver before and now have a 200 and dont really miss the Golf at all. I think i will more when the show season comes around but you can still go :D

Good luck with the sale of the car and hope you get a nice 172.

Gorms

Phase 1 Clio 172
i have a mk 4 golf GTtdi and a 172 phase 1
liking the cost to repair bills for the clio compared to that of the golf
everything seems twice as expensive for the golf
so it dosnt seem a bad change to me

any way welcome to the site ;)

Cup and R6
welcome to the site,

I've come from VAG to Frog and all I can say is DONT do it, this is just my experience, others will disagree, but I'm looking to switch back ASAP

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
welcome to the site,

I've come from VAG to Frog and all I can say is DONT do it, this is just my experience, others will disagree, but I'm looking to switch back ASAP

You're obviously not a fan of steering feel or driver enjoyment then ...

Clios are great, just make sure the cambelt, etc has been done - its a good £350-£400 to do on a normal 172, ie one with aircon.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I went from a 172 to a TT, different cars completely.

cant say which is best.

not quite so much of a "scene" on here, you dont have to have multi coloured trainers, your sisters jeans or mahooosive sunglasses to fit in haha

Cup and R6
You're obviously not a fan of steering feel or driver enjoyment then ...

Clios are great, just make sure the cambelt, etc has been done - its a good £350-£400 to do on a normal 172, ie one with aircon.

no, im not a fan of having a car that falls to pieces TBH, I'd rather have something a little duller to drive than a nail

Welcome, nice Golf you have there.

Take your time and get a good example of a 172 and you shouldn't have any major bills other than getting the cam/aux belts changed if they haven't been done already. Niggly things will fail like every car, but they're usually cheap parts to replace and the amount of guides/knowledge on here means you can do a lot of it yourself.

I've a 172 as my daily driver and came out of a 08 A3 Sportsback company car, work with VAG cars all year round... they're not drivers cars. Had a couple that were, but then it cost me a lot of money to get them to that point!