ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vag gearboxes

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What's up? The car will be up in flames if I don't sort this soon!

​i should point out it's all my fault and I hate myself for it, should have just stuck with changing Renault gearboxes all my life

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Basically I can't get my clutch to work. It's off the car now and it seems the flywheel/clutch assembly isn't going into the bell housing far enough.

so if it is that its either scoffs flywheel that is wrong
or its the clutch from lark speed that I bought
or it's the GSF pattern part release bearing that I bought
or its the master cylinder from wilwood

​its annoying!

Of all of those, I'd say its the latter. Everything else is tried and tested.

That said I did have a faulty LUK slave the other day. That bled up fine, then as I was moving it off the ramp the clutch pedal went to the floor and pissed brake fluid from the bell housing.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Probably. Not to mention my mounting of the cylinder is far from ideal.

Still not stopping me from getting pissed off at it!

do you happen to know if on the 02m's the clutch fingers push the slave all the way in?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Currently my flywheel "roughly" where it sits when on the engine, pushes the slave cylinder in about 1/4 of an inch. There's at least another 1/2 inch of travel left on the slave. So I'm wondering if its causing the issue

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Don't go out of your way mate. If my theory is right then its a hardware issue with either the bearing, clutch or flywheel not being thick enough

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not over extending too far and stopping it go in gear cause of that is it?

Ive had that before, try just pushing the clutch in half way and see if it works then?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You on about the slave? I don't think it can tbh. Do you have what's app? Ill send some pictures to explain better if you want

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I was on about the slave.
Im crap at seeing stuff on my blackberry screen, just post them here, dan etc can see then too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Unfortunately my bandwidth limit is exceeded on photo bucket so it will have to wait.

basically with just the box and the flywheel/clutch assembly in my hand I can push the flywheel about half inch further in than it goes when it's bolted up to my engine

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Here is my box (ohh errr!) with my clutch/flywheel assembly...

9qj3.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
This is with it where it belongs with the slave cylinder under no pressure (so all the way out)

8y2x.jpg

note how much of the "dish" on the flywheel sticks out beyond the bell housing and the position of the teeth through the inspection hole.

this is where it is with the slave cylinder all the way in..

zyjl.jpg

note how far in the teeth are...

and this is roughly where it sits when flywheel is bolted up to the engine...

927b.jpg

Does this help explain my point?

also image shack sucks donkey balls!
thanks for the offer dan, would have been better than using imageshack lol.
At least it worked
:)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It would seem I do have an issue because tutuur's sensor is definitely further in than mine is

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know if 3/4 of an inch travel on the standard vag master cylinder is enough?

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
old post I know but did you ever get any where with this ?

I have had an issue with mine where even though it all looks fine the clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging.
Changing the slave tonight

Problem with mine was that it was all working, I used a spec clutch from the USA, but the clutch disk fell apart, so after replacing it I now can't get it to operate the clutch...
Same fly wheel, clutch cover and replacement plate.

HBT 172 Cup
Jaff sorry to hijack.

If anyone is after an 02M with shafts and brackets, pedal, shafts e.t.c I have it for sale.

Jaff hope you get it sorted. Car looks mega!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
does anyone know if this is enough movement in the slave cylinder?

[video]https://flic.kr/p/obBqoi[/video]

stupid tagging system!

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Replaced the slave on mine, still the same issue with a brand new slave.
And I might have to invest in a camera to look via the starter and see how much mine moves.

Jaff Might need to build up some shims behind the slave.
If you take off the fly wheel put the clutch on it and then put it in a press you will be able to check how much movement is needed to release it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnsiYRFsVCj5D3fPYCiJzmE4OOm4DuThREF2wTZ19rcwK5ZYWa.jpg

total movement on the slave is like this

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Have you primed the slave mate?

Ill pull ill the engine out next week and shim it out. Hopefully it should sort the issue

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Primed it off the box and then put it on and bled it, gets good pedal feel and you can hear the clutch cover springs move.
Going to get a cheap USB camera from ebay and have a look inside (will update next week)

Ok so this is what happened to the last clutch
1796566_10152262891724672_30377690_n.jpg

flywheel pic -its an older 02m box code FML using scoffs flywheel
1898102_10152264829564672_85125063_n.jpg

This is the original, managed about 1000 miles before it poped and i have replaced it with an identical model.

1016027_10151690002159672_1203749589_o.jpg

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
I shouldn't think so George, mine was working perfectly and then it slowly went over about 10 15 miles and i couldn't get it out of gear.
Next thing for me is to change the master cylinder as i have changed everything bar that and the pipe work...
So it all works apart from the clutch.
Chris Savage has some issues with his 02m as well i think, not too sure what happened to that.

I hope mine doesn't have this trouble :/

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah worth a try. I had a 5mm boroscope on mine and it wouldn't go all the way in. Thankfully it had a lot of adjustment on it so I could see around :)