ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 Espace airbox questions

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've managed to get hold of an airbox and had ago at trail fitting it, and it's a bit of a tight fit!!!! I've looked throught the guides on how to fit them but can't veiw any of the pictures (just comes up with a little red 'x'). I have a few questions:

I'm going to remove the valve on the standard cold air feeds and run one larger one down instead, but where's the best place to run it to? I test drove it with the standard 182 feeds into it and buy the time I got back and put my hand on the actual filter it was warm!
Is the inlet bend on the Ph-1 172 shorter than the 182? Should I get one to help it fit, or get a aftermarket silicone bend and trim it as needed?
Should I use a standard Renault filter or an aftermarket cotton/ foam element as these are 3/4 times the price so I could just keep on replacing the standard one often?
When under full throttle, it has that cr*p induction kit roar that I really hate, if I seal the airbox to the cold air feed will I still be able to hear it? Depending on how loud it is it may not be staying

Sorry for the essay but any help much appreciated

172 FF
ok where to start,
Its easier to fit if you use a samco bend(with a bit of cutting)of the phase 1 bend.
The induction roar nearly goes all together with a panel filter and cold air feed, mine was really load on the standard filter, then got quieter from the panel filter.

I've run my cold air feed into the front grill next tothe fog light it's a 100mm air feed as well so good luck with that because its really tight and few things need relocating to make it fit correctly ie horn...

Hope this helps!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
ok where to start,
Its easier to fit if you use a samco bend(with a bit of cutting)of the phase 1 bend.
The induction roar nearly goes all together with a panel filter and cold air feed, mine was really load on the standard filter, then got quieter from the panel filter.

I've run my cold air feed into the front grill next tothe fog light it's a 100mm air feed as well so good luck with that because its really tight and few things need relocating to make it fit correctly ie horn...

Hope this helps!

What year clio do I have to get the airfilter for? Mk2 Ph1 clio 172 or Mk2 Ph2 172? or are they both the same, I can't find any pics. I haven't found the horn yet but I'll look into taking out the acoustic valve one afternoon this week. I'll drop into Renault tonight and try and get the intake hose aswell

Golf GT & A4 Avant
:bump:

Somebody must know after all the discussions there had been lately between the cup airbox vs ITG maxogen?

RS RIP
i just saw your link to K-tec there; i cannot think of anything why it would not fit the phase 1 box.. i've got this one and it's both 7cm diameter , TB and filterhousing.

so ... bump for the next one who could know ??

Chocolate Bar™
the reason they say it wont fit is because, as standard, the ph1 airbox sits at an angle going to the throttle body. so in order for the samco to fit it needs to be cut on a slight angle - as such theres a risk of fooking it up, which is why they dont advertise it as fitting. but with a bit of patience it'll fit as i have one on my ph1.

PH1 172 Sport
Ive just put the v6 espace airbox in mine induction note is much nicer with an air feed and uprated filter and the box is allot less noisy than the standard PH1 172 box while on the motorway. 1 air feed also makes the engine bay look allot tidier

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Why does everyone get a hard on over a mk1 172 / V6 Espace airbox?? :S

Because it's cheap and a simplified air run than the standard Ph-2 box, I got it off a bloke that was about to scrap his espace for nothing. It sounds better than the standard Ph-2 box, it is extremely similar to the famous ITG Maxogen that cost £300, that so many people get more than just a hard on over! And finally, it may have been used in a slightly different way, but RenaultSport thought it good enough to use in their cup cars.

I probably won't notice anymore performance, but every little helps!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Hopefully should be fitting it all properly this evening, going to use a standard paper filter and inlet elbow for now until I get round to ordering the other parts. Not looking forward to fitting the CAF in though!

PH1 172 Sport
Hopefully should be fitting it all properly this evening, going to use a standard paper filter and inlet elbow for now until I get round to ordering the other parts. Not looking forward to fitting the CAF in though!

Dont really see the point of a long CAF it only needs to go next to where the battery is like the maxogen does Having a CAF down low worries me a bit also as surely theres a higher risk of water getting in??

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Dont really see the point of a long CAF it only needs to go next to where the battery is like the maxogen does Having a CAF down low worries me a bit also as surely theres a higher risk of water getting in??

I did think about this. A while back the passenger side foglight smashed so I removed it, fitted a CAF in the opening, and connected it to the OE CAF where the acousitc valve is. In the rain a little moisture would settle at the bottom of the pipe but would never work its way up as theres not enough pressure, maybe it would in a turbo car?

Is there a constant airflow around the back of the headlight, letting cold air in and hot air out? I wasn't sure. When I trial fitted the airbox I used the OE feeds, and after a quick drive I put my hand inside the airbox through the feed and it was warm?

Ph1 172
Yes, you are fine until water completely covers the hole it will then instantly get sucked up. Puddles which are deeper than your foglight are a no no. It will drain out otherwise.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yes, you are fine until water completely covers the hole it will then instantly get sucked up. Puddles which are deeper than your foglight are a no no. It will drain out otherwise.

Very true, but you're braver than I am if you're likely to drive through a puddle that deep. I'm going to try and run the CAF so it sits below the number plate in the front lower grille. Hoping the grille will help stop any splashes getting too far up the pipe .

PH1 172 Sport
Is there a constant airflow around the back of the headlight, letting cold air in and hot air out? I wasn't sure. When I trial fitted the airbox I used the OE feeds, and after a quick drive I put my hand inside the airbox through the feed and it was warm?

On the PH1 there are grills under the headlight not sure what the flows like on the PH2 though.

Ph1

Because it's cheap and a simplified air run than the standard Ph-2 box, I got it off a bloke that was about to scrap his espace for nothing. It sounds better than the standard Ph-2 box, it is extremely similar to the famous ITG Maxogen that cost £300, that so many people get more than just a hard on over! And finally, it may have been used in a slightly different way, but RenaultSport thought it good enough to use in their cup cars.

I probably won't notice anymore performance, but every little helps!

Folk get a hard on over a Maxogen because its a quality proven piece of kit. The only similarities between a OE air box and a Maxogen is the colour !

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Folk get a hard on over a Maxogen because its a quality proven piece of kit. The only similarities between a OE air box and a Maxogen is the colour !

And shape, air flow route, position, air feed into filter?

I'm not putting the Maxogen down, just can't afford to spend that kind of money at the moment

Anyway, fitted it on friday afternoon, was an absolute nightmare to get it to fit in a way I was happy with. I used a trimmed standard air feed pipe of the V6 Espace aswell and positioned it where the acoustic valve is so no hot air. that made most of the problems to getting a nice fit.
Now I can't claim any extra bhp, but pick-up does seem a little better and there feels less of a flat spot mid revs. This is still using a renault airfilter and standard inlet bend that are still to be changed, hoping a modified silicone bend will help the fit also.
Sound wise, anything other than full throttle and it all sounds standard including a fairly heavy blip of the throttle. Full throttle in the wrong gear (low revs) you do get that crappy induction kit noise, until you hit 4000rpm and you get a lovley tone from the engine. Sounds awesome.

Next thing, which airfilter to get. Green or K&N cotton, or ITG and Pipercross foam?

Clio 172 mk2

Have to ask myself the same question

If the design of that airbox or the Mk1 was that good then why was it replaced/redesigned with the one in the Mk2?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

If the design of that airbox or the Mk1 was that good then why was it replaced/redesigned with the one in the Mk2?

Possible packaging reasons, or maybe to make it a big quieter a la the Astra/Civic Type R air boxs that have ridges and stuff in to quiet them down. All part of making the Ph2 more civilised and 'refined'.

Dan

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Possible packaging reasons, or maybe to make it a big quieter a la the Astra/Civic Type R air boxs that have ridges and stuff in to quiet them down. All part of making the Ph2 more civilised and 'refined'.

Dan

The V6 airbox is fair more vocal than the standard 182 box, even when it's fullt sealed off with air feeds. It doesn't look anywhere as neat and tidy, or fit as well as the newer ones either

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Just out of interest, is a mk2 clio v6 air box and the espace v6 airbox the same thing ?

The mk2 ph1 clio airbox is very similar to the espace V6/cup airbox, the difference is the v6 has one 100mm dia air feed whereas the clio Mk2 Ph1 has 2 smaller feeds, 60/70mm dia approx but not sure. It works out that the V6 has a slightly larger area thats worth at least 5-7bhp extra :rasp:

Vw caddy tdi
Is it worth changing from a ph1 to a espace v6 item, caiser you have ph1 172 whats it like in comparison??

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Is it worth changing from a ph1 to a espace v6 item, caiser you have ph1 172 whats it like in comparison??

Personally I wouldn't bother, it was just the case I could get hold of a V6 box from a relative scrapping his car. Otherwise I would have had either.

I'd just try and upgrade the CAF to it, I'm sure theres something in the guides section on it

PH1 172 Sport

I changed mine for ease of routing the air feed as I found having two a pain. The noise is different from the PH1 airbox also. Its quiet and civilised at lows revs and sounds very nice when giving it some beans.

Henk from fastchip looked at my RStuner logs yesterday and commented that i must have a good induction setup as the inlet pressure was high and air temps low. He's currently fitting an espace v6 airbox to a 197 to see what benefits it provides.

RS RIP

I changed mine for ease of routing the air feed as I found having two a pain. The noise is different from the PH1 airbox also. Its quiet and civilised at lows revs and sounds very nice when giving it some beans.

Henk from fastchip looked at my RStuner logs yesterday and commented that i must have a good induction setup as the inlet pressure was high and air temps low. He's currently fitting an espace v6 airbox to a 197 to see what benefits it provides.

Do You have your CAF (10cm?) just pointed towards the bottom, or just below the battery ?

I have done a phase 1 airbox (two 63mm feeds) ,and routed the cafs all the way down to the original phase 2 location , by the horn. Only prob is; when i have to change a lightbulb, i'll have to be removing the cafs to get to the bulb:dapprove:

Since then , i have moved the battery to the boot so i have some nice space for maybe this airbox and its giant airfeed.

I was wondering about your caf-route, sounds like you have just a short one(?) , meaning the caf-route all the way down is unnessescary (Henk saying your temp+pressure were good)

PH1 172 Sport
^^ My caf is located behind the vent under the headlight as I have a PH1. CAF is 10cm in diameter

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Do You have your CAF (10cm?) just pointed towards the bottom, or just below the battery ?

I have done a phase 1 airbox (two 63mm feeds) ,and routed the cafs all the way down to the original phase 2 location , by the horn. Only prob is; when i have to change a lightbulb, i'll have to be removing the cafs to get to the bulb:dapprove:

Since then , i have moved the battery to the boot so i have some nice space for maybe this airbox and its giant airfeed.

I was wondering about your caf-route, sounds like you have just a short one(?) , meaning the caf-route all the way down is unnessescary (Henk saying your temp+pressure were good)

Franx, do you have a Ph1 172 or the Ph2 172/182? I've got the Ph2 182 and I've run the feeds all the way down to the foglight as shown by the pics in this thread.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=331529

182 cup pack
Question: The V6 airbox is the same as the ph1 172 and their difference is the air feed only ? The 172 has 2 smaller air feeds.

In my 182 I've only put bigger caf and K&N panel in the oem airbox.Has anyone tried installing a 172 ph1 airbox in a 182 ?

I have one sitting and think I'll try it.

Thanks.

Ph1

Dan

If thats the case then how come the mk2 172 is the same bhp and roughly the same performance as a ph1 ??

Ph2 dosent lose out using a square type of induction box does it??

So then, whats the real advantage in the ph1 / V6 set up ?? ;)

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Im thinking of getting one of these (the espace one), how easy are they to fit? and where can i run the CAF of a 182?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Dan

If thats the case then how come the mk2 172 is the same bhp and roughly the same performance as a ph1 ??

Ph2 dosent lose out using a square type of induction box does it??

So then, whats the real advantage in the ph1 / V6 set up ?? ;)

Being able to route the CAF behind the NS upper front grill to take enormous gulps of freezing cold air rammed in at speed.

Need no aircon/fuel rail protector to make it fit though. I'm looking into this myself.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I have also the V6 airbox in mine and also directly sucking from the fog light. Quite O.K. And I mean that I fell some charging effect at high speeds.

clio2008_21.jpg

SANY0275.jpg

RS RIP
Looks like you re-located the enginemanagement there or not ? (noticed it's a 1.6, maybe different location for the ecu-holder?)

Good job with the foglight ! I had this on my Saxo, noticed a big diference especially at higher speeds. Only found that a lot of water/dirt was sucked in from cars in front of you.. clean it more often i guess

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
The engine is in a ClioI not in a ClioII and I also put the ClioII Bumper at it due to the better fog light shape...