ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using scratch X

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Got some scratch x to try and shift a few minor scratches. before i use it was wondering if it is possible just to use it on the scrached area or will it be a case of having to do the whole pannel to make shure its even. dont wanting it to look odd if i have justd done one area

what would the best practice be. Cheers

Dave

Monaco 172 2/468
You are fine just doing the affected areas mate. I think the only time you'd need to really do whole panels etc (apart from through choice) is if the paintwork was fairly bad all over, then it can sometimes show up better than the rest

106 GTi
Depends on the shape the rest of the panel is in.

If you work it in the area that needs attention, follow up on the whole of the panel with a milder polish you should not be able to see the difference, unless the rest of the panel has swirls and defects in it.

yea my body work is ok, bar ta few scraches will just have use on an inconspicuous area first see how it goes

Dave

Octavia VRS
yep same here, very time consuming if doing the whole car by hand tho but it gets results

106 GTi
Takes lots of elbow grease and more like 5 -10 applications on each area!

Most people dont work it right either, needs to be worked back and forth until there is no product lift to wipe off.

got a pic of the worst ones need to get shifted. Bat died on me camera so couldent get the rest

these are the worst ones. will scratch x make a good effort or mininising these

DSCF0177.jpg

106 GTi
Is that primer showing through? Does your nail catch in it? If you wipe a damp finger over it does it seem to disapear?

VaVa
If that's not primer it's a bloody good gouge in the clearcoat!! Will take approximately 10 years to do by hand with scratch x. lol.

106 GTi
I doubt it is correctable with scratch X or a pc, will need paint by the looks of it.

ph1 172
Ive used some stuff called G10. its like a cutting compound for bodywork. They do it in different grades G6 G4 etc. G4 is like grinding paste i think. Basically G10 is the last one you use for flatting, not something you polish your car with every week if you want paint in a few years but it is amazing for scratches and not much work.

G10_Liquid_Compound.jpg

£10 for 500ml from wilco-fastfit.co.uk

its good stuff mate, i personally use G3, we used it in the body shop so ive brought some for my self now.

well recommended

ph1 172
i used it with one of those polishing wheels, an air powered one. The only down side i found was that you have to try and keep it off of black plastic trim or it takes lots of scrubbing to get it off. Nothing masking tape cant help with though

yeah i know what you mean, i wish i had one, you can cut a whole car in half hour an it looks mint, just get the final finish by hand, takes bloody ages to do do the whole thing by hand tho.

Focus RS, 182 gone
i used scratch x once, left really bad swirl marks on my paint, thought id gone through the laquar, luckily after 3 hours polishing, they came out, wont be using it again in a hurry. Now i just polish scratches out with normal auto glym super resin polish.

106 GTi
azzer2000 said:
i used scratch x once, left really bad swirl marks on my paint, thought id gone through the laquar, luckily after 3 hours polishing, they came out, wont be using it again in a hurry. Now i just polish scratches out with normal auto glym super resin polish.

You did'nt work it correctly then, you need to work it until it is gone to make sure it does not do that.

106 GTi
You need to work the product in a small section, 30cm x 30 cm in back and forth motions with a decent amount of pressure until there is no product left to remove, That way the product breaks down correctly and ensures you are not putting in as many marks as you removing, Repeat the process until the defect is gone, providing it is not to deep to remove. It may take 5 to 10 goes which means some serve elbow grease is needed to do it properly.

If you are wiping the product off after application your using to much, working in too large an area, or not working it long enough.

Leon Cupra 300
im only using it on a area 30cm by 5 cm god knows how scratches ended up there, prob a bloody cat or something!

ill keep at it how you say then rich.. cheers

106 GTi
How deep are they? - If they are deep enough to catch a nail in you wont get them out as a rule.

Leon Cupra 300
no not deep atall, still blue! just like scratch in the clear coat, you can only see them in some light/angles but i know they're there!

soz havent got bk about the pic. It looks a lot worse in the pic but ive had a feel of it and some of the scratches are worse than others. but i did what Rich asked bout them catching on the nail, some do do slightly but nothing deep and others dont some do disapear a bit when you rub a wet finger over them. think it old polish stuck in them.

most of them just look like scraches in the clear coat

do think id be able to get them out?

Cheers Dave

106 GTi
The ones that catch will not polish out, the ones that disapear when wet should polish out.