ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using alot of fuel at normal drives.

ITB BG 182
I filled my car yesterday to the brim, and today its saying ive used 1/4 of a tank or 2 gallons on the trip. Ive only done 40 miles. So 20 mpg on normal driving.

Any suggestions on what this could be as i have not got a clue.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
what car? If a 182 do a full tank run, should get 300ish miles IMO

ITB BG 182
Tyres are what some one on here recommended me.. F=32 R=28
Its a 182 and the last full tank got me roughly 250 miles. Thats driving to and from work 5 days a week (150 miles) then i usually do a long drive at 50 to 60 mph on the A roads.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 would do 250 miles tops on a tank of fuel, 182 does 300ish easy.

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
i use to get around 32 but recently been getting 24mpg - annoying but iv been doing loads of short journeys + cold weather = too much money on petrol.

172 Cup, Clio 197
Nah i reckon you will be fine mate. If you dont "brim" it a lot you wont have noticed this. but for some reason (dont ask me why lol) i find that the 1st 1/3 of a tank goes in like 60 miles, then the next 1/3 last an eternity and then the last 1/3 is sort of normal, its as if they made a trapeze fuel tank lol

Btw i always use v-power or an equivalent so im used to seeing 30mpg + town driving (some hard driving) and 37 - 42 on a nice steady journey, totally standard motor

BMW M135i
You can't use the gauge as a reference, its not linear. The top 1/3 or stop drops really quick then it hangs around in the middle for ages.

Clio 182
getting around 25mpg around town.... got 38mpg on a 40 mile trip today which i was pleased about.

ITB BG 182
It used to stay at the top for ages then drop down, put it this way its now reading just below half a tank.
Think ill get GDi to check it over properly.

clio sport cup
Is it sitting on your drive warming up for ages, then a short drive to work?

MY cup (even with warm ups 10mins) is seeing about 34 at the mo

Clio 172, Audi A4 S-Line
My 172 (Completely standard) shows 320 miles when brimming on the trip computer.. I commute 14 miles round trip and at the moment i'm getting 27.9 mpg which has gone down since the cold weather came..

DMS

A thirsty 172
Nah i reckon you will be fine mate. If you dont "brim" it a lot you wont have noticed this. but for some reason (dont ask me why lol) i find that the 1st 1/3 of a tank goes in like 60 miles, then the next 1/3 last an eternity and then the last 1/3 is sort of normal, its as if they made a trapeze fuel tank lol

SNAP! It's like the first 1/3 of a tank lasts about a day, then the car seems to be half full all week.

As I said last night fat lad, I'm getting about 33-35mpg on runs to work at the moment. That's less than normal - I usually get 38-40 but like other people have said, it's cold weather.
I ragged it some of the way home last night and still averaged 25.3mpg.

ITB BG 182
No srtanding, i get in the car start it up an then drive 15 miles to work on long roads doing 40 on average. Then i do the same coming back start up and drive same route back. Im on roughly a 1/4 of a tank now and i filled up on sunday night.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I thought there was a fairly strong smell of petrol when you started the car up last night to reverse out of the garage. Over-fuelling?

ITB'd MK1
as i said on the phone earlier, probably lambda sensor. Seen loads fail on 182s recently, odd. Easy enough to check out on diagnostics when you bring it down :)

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
I have NEVER seen higher than 27mpg on mine.....:S
And when i do put V.power in it drops to 22mpg and burns the whole lot in a flash!!! whats happening????

182FF with cup packs
I seem to be averaging 1 or 2 mpg less than usual on my work run since the cold snap started, but I suspect that might have something to do with me putting a RSTuner Ron98 remap on it :p

Tesco 99Ron all thway though.

Monaco Blue Mk2
I seem to get around 300-350 or roughly 100 miles to a £10er
That's in a 1.4
I'm with you on the first 3rd of the tank going down quickly!