ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using a daily on track through-out the year

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
As the title says, im booking two track days over the next few days .. My 182 is my daily as well as my 'want to be' track car ..

Is there anything i should keep in mind for the duel use of the car such as brakes, suspension, seats etc
I'm pretty crap at explaining my self but i think this gets the point across!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Plenty have used their cars for a bit of track action and as a daily, me included. General maintenance of the car is all that's needed. Unless you go full racecar with stripping, coilovers, etc.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
The only thing I wanna change is the seat.. Was just wondering if there was anything else I had to double check apart from the usual!

Such as track brake pads, no good for road?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Standard steering wheel? If so replace that. Teack based pads like the carbone Lorraine rc5/6 are fine on the road with brembo discs. Seat wise is down to choice but I find the standard seats pretty good. Thing to do is just do the basics and see how you get on. Decent tyres like the rsr are a nice balance

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I bought my 172 Cup brand new...and got it to something like 100k miles in 4 years, mostly commuting but included approx 30 trackdays. In that time I changed pads for something more suitable, better brake fluid, and braided lines only.

Standard seats, standard suspension, standard everything else...it was just religiously maintained. Save yourself some money, just get out there, learn, and have some fun.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I would recommend using a more trackday focused tyre. I've been using Yokohama AD08R tyres all year round for a while now on my R26 and 172 as I don't have space for spare sets of wheels. They have lots of grip, take a lot of abuse on track, and I've had no issues using them in extremely wet weather.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
On 15 or 16 Tim?

The 172 has 195 50 15 on a set of 2118s and R26 has 225 40 18 on standard alloys but I'm getting 235 40 18 next time.

Front tyres on 172 lasted 12k including nine laps of the Ring, a driving holiday to Wales, and the Blyton Park trackday at CSS. Rears still have 4mm left.

R26 hasn't been working long enough to wear them out yet 😂

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
All fluids are checked regularly etc, oil changed every 6-8k, I got some different tyres for the new year so that's covered!

And tuition is one that's definitely on the books, booking a novice day at brands! My first one I did was full of race cars / teams so was a bit intimidating !

As said, no issues at all. Just make sure its got no outstanding issues and change the tyres, pads and fluid for something which won't die too quickly.

The only issue is having a backup plan to get the car home and get to work if you (or someone else) bins it and damages your car.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Your 172 :tongueout: will be awesome on track. I would be looking at changing brake pads and bleeding the brakes. Also Oil changes more frequently as well as gearbox oil change.

Listerine & Poledo
You're doing 2 track days. You're not entering the britcar 24h.

Just make sure your fluids and tyre pressures are good and that's all you need to worry about. No sense in pouring a load of "track-focused" kit into a daily driver that might see a track for 2 days a year.

Now, if you decided to be on track every other day, yes, then you probably need to put some money into the car. Starting with whichever piece falls off or runs out first.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Your 172 :tongueout: will be awesome on track. I would be looking at changing brake pads and bleeding the brakes. Also Oil changes more frequently as well as gearbox oil change.
182! Haha not this again :p
Oil will be done soon, gearbox hasn't been done in my owner ship so I'll get that done .. I'm running mintex 1144 and brembo high carbon discs atm so brakes are good

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do the Bedford Renault/FordForum one at end of Feb... find details in the Track Day section on here.

Then book the 3 UK RenaultSport track days - they'll be probably a full day at Brands in April, an evening at Bedford in June and a full day at Oulton Park later in the year.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Do the Bedford Renault/FordForum one at end of Feb... find details in the Track Day section on here.

Then book the 3 UK RenaultSport track days - they'll be probably a full day at Brands in April, an evening at Bedford in June and a full day at Oulton Park later in the year.

I'm gonna do brands in March and then try get to one of the renaultsport days.. Wanted to go last year but couldn't!

I'll have a look at the one at the end of February :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm gonna do brands in March and then try get to one of the renaultsport days.. Wanted to go last year but couldn't!

I'll have a look at the one at the end of February :smile:
I've done a couple of Renault days in the past. Prefer normal days tbh, when all the cars are relatively well matched egos come out to play! Remember being at oulton few years ago, the meg bunch would not move over under any circumstances for the ph1.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a couple of Renault days in the past. Prefer normal days tbh, when all the cars are relatively well matched egos come out to play! Remember being at oulton few years ago, the meg bunch would not move over under any circumstances for the ph1.

Yeah I enjoyed the renaultsport day at brands earlier in the year, not sure I'd do another though. I like the variety of a normal day, walking around the pits and seeing what weird and wonderful cars people bring. Following other clios around all day got a bit repetitive.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Nah twos :)

I haven't used them yet, on my mates 172 they where awesome

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 42

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
They look exactly like the syron street race tyres. After a quick google there is no new syron street race 2 tyre

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Double check lol. You rate them then. I looked into them a while back but there wasn't much feedback

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Syron-Street-Race.jpg

For me the syrons were quite predictable, warm up very quickly, they're a medium soft compound, you could feel when they were coming to their limit so that you don't kill them off too quickly, they were a step gap up to ad08r's for the price on a 16" wheel i couldn't say no. they're very capable in the wet, dealt with standing water fine. iirc they only had 6.5mm of tread new but i got 5 days out of them and still had 3-4mm left. i ordered them from pneus tyres and got them next day, for a track tyre on the cheap i'd definitely recommend them and will be getting some for my next set.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. They are the origional ones, was never a 2 iirc. And what size dos you get, couldn't see 205/45 listed.

They only do them in 195.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Cheers. They are the origional ones, was never a 2 iirc. And what size dos you get, couldn't see 205/45 listed.

They only do them in 195.
the ones mounted will be a 195/45 it's not a noticeable difference when mounted