ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used tyres? Seriously?

Listerine & Poledo
I keep seeing people talking of buying up used tyres as if it's the new craze.

Now, after partng company with the thick end of 200 sheets for a pair of front Conti's and an alignment I can easily understand that some may want to save a few quid.

But I was always told that getting used tyres is a bad move that should generally be avoided?

Views?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ive bought loads of used tyres from ebay, local traders etc.

Never had a issue, I do buy new if there is no decent ones about though

Listerine & Poledo
don't they bring with themselves the possibility of inbalance / uneven wear though.

a tyre may have "4-5mm" of tread, but if it was bedded in by another car, wont that leave a kind of "mark" on the tyre, leading it to wear badly thereafter?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
don't they bring with themselves the possibility of inbalance / uneven wear though.

a tyre may have "4-5mm" of tread, but if it was bedded in by another car, wont that leave a kind of "mark" on the tyre, leading it to wear badly thereafter?

In 125k miles from new, my Cup has worn brand spanking off the shelf new tyres only twice. Those it was fitted with at the factory, and it's first set of replacements.

Since then, all of the road and track tyres I've used/tried have been second hand, and 95% have been bought from members on here.

I see what you're saying about the bedding in etc., but I can say that none of the used tyres I've run have ever worn unevenly or behaved not as they should.

Probably saved me in the region of £1,000 over the years!

Listerine & Poledo
ah, fair enouh then, thanks gents.

I reckon I'll be keeping with "stickers" though. It's not like I go through a set every few months :)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Part worns aren't as great an economy as you might think, if you consider them at their price per usable millimetre of tread (ie. 8-3mm* on a brand new tyre) then part worns are rarely a lot cheaper.

* Yes, I said 3mm, which is the point at which tyres generally stop becoming as effective, despite the legal limit being 1.6mm.

I bought a part worn PE2 as I had 3 other tyres on 4-6mm tread that were on the car when I bought it, but one odd one, so I bought a part worn to keep tyre change intervals similar rather than to save money.

I'm not saying don't buy part worns, just consider the cost properly based on the usable tread.

Westy. MX5
If you buy a used car then it will have part worn tyres on it. At least buying part worn off the wheels you can see what you are getting for your money.

S4 Avant
I bought a pair of paradas for £6 once.

Say what you want, but I had 6 months worth of front tyres with that £6.

My old boss used to use used tyres (lol) on his bike. They were road tyres that had been used on a track.
and he was on his way to the ferry in Dover, and he got a blowout.

He got the AA to bring him back to the shop and the tyre had loads of raised bumps along the middle, the cords were all over the place.

Shame he didn't die, he was a cnut.
He even had the guts to call pirelli and complain about how it was destroyed, then they sent him a brand new tyre out :0

RS 182 CUP
part worns are for tight arses whod rather take the risk of buying a damaged/weak tyre than pay a bit more for new tyres. theres plenty of web sites that sell em cheap enough. bet you service your cars with used oil too

S4 Avant
part worns are for tight arses whod rather take the risk of buying a damaged/weak tyre than pay a bit more for new tyres. theres plenty of web sites that sell em cheap enough. bet you service your cars with used oil too

Stereotyping FTW.

E30 325i & 172 Cup
I was doing some work in a used tyre place in Durham last year and they were repairing puctures in the side walls of tyres, then selling them to people. I know there are probibly plenty of honest used tyre places, but I wouldnt risk it unless I could examine the tyre properly before hand.

Lionel Richie
my mate is one of the largest importers of part worns, 4 x 235/45 17 to me = £40 and i'll get 10K out of them

most of his stuff comes from Germany where the legal limit there is 3mm, i believe i'm correct in saying you CANNOT repair tyres in germany, and if one gets damaged you MUST replace the other even if its fine

so a new car out the showroom gets a nail in 1 tyre 2 miles old, you have to replace BOTH = "new" tyres are available if you know the right people

clio sport 172
i can get part worns fitted all day long for like £20/£30 a pair, never had a problem, and in my eyes, i dont see a problem.. look after the pennies, and the £'s look after them selves :)

DCi 100
I've always bought new one's so far but wouldn't mind aslong as they're in decent nick.

Some guy at work buys budget part worns for his 1.2 Micra at £25 + fitting a go though, I chuckle to myself knowing how cheap toyo's etc are new each!

Clio Sport 172
just picked up a set of Toyo Proxies for my front end cost me 35 quid and they cant have done more than 500 miles!:approve:

Clio Sport 172
Pffffffft :dapprove: