ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT suspension mount advice

Black 182 + Recaros

My 172 MK2 was booked in with Renault to replace the suspension mounts and to carry out the 172 strut modification.

I agreed to pay for this work because the warranty was invalidated due to the fitment of Koni adjustible dampers.

They now tell me they have replaced the shock absorbers, saying they refer to the same thing ( i.e. the strut modification).

Are they talking cr*p ?. Have the dampers got anything to do with this ?

Cant believe theyve removed my Konis :p.

Any comments ?

strut mod or suspension mount mod used to just be grinding out a bit of the mount! lol

Why theyd replace your after market shocks is beyond me. unless to charge you more! lol

Black 182 + Recaros

I havent collected the car yet, but when I rang they said the total cost was £230. I was originally quoted £130. Thats how I found out something was wrong.

The problem is the girl on the phone. She wouldnt put me through to the mechanic. So I dont know if its her thats got it wrong.

So I said Id have to inspect the vehicle to see what has (or hasnt) been done. Talk about a waste of time.

Black 182 + Recaros

Panic over.

Ive just spoken with the garage and it appears they havent replaced the dampers. Lets hope not.

They were still gonna charge me for them though. :mad:

robcup - Yes, this applies to 172s and 182s. The suspension mounts can cause a loud thud/knocking noise whilst turning over bumpy roads. Some people have it worse than others. Mine was pretty bad. So I really hope its been sorted once and for all.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Had mine done when it went in for a service. Cured it for about a week, just as bad again now.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

If a dealer carries out work without your authorisation, can you ask them to replace the parts and only charge you the original quote?

:cry: ok then whats the deal then if u still got man fac warranty left cause mine knocks quite alot thought suspension was fooked but any gen let me know what dose the mod involve cheers guys

Black 182 + Recaros

I just picked my car up. They still tried to charge me for 2 new dampers (costing £240), I then pointed out that the original dampers were still on the car. Idiots.

It turns out they made a mistake with the original quote. They quoted for 1 suspension mount and strut costing £139 (all-in). Normally this would have cost £210. They did however honour the original quote.

The knocking is still there, but the car does feel more solid at the front. There was far too much movement before, so I think mine were fooked.

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 17 May 2005 at 6:13pm]

Black 182 + Recaros

robcup - unless its really bad then dont bother. It doesnt fix the knocking anyway. But if its under warranty then you could ask them to do it next time your cars booked in.

Just so you know, they have replaced the rubber suspension mounts and also the struts. Im still not sure what the extra modification is. I cant see anything obvious.

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 17 May 2005 at 6:18pm]