ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT HELP-COOLANT

Mini Cooper S JCW

just thought id go and check my coolant level as the barrel thing woz caked in an orangey colour. anyway after about 5 mins of struggling to get the top off, it opened, and i found virtually no liquid in it!! :eek:

well i am no mechanic, but i can tell that aint right..........so it needed topping up ASAP!

can some1 tell me what stuff i need to buy? and where to buy it (e.g halfords)

HELP!! thanx, marc

Skoda Fabia vRS

firstly stick some water in it for now, for on the way to wherever your gettin it from

if you can be bothered flush the system and get the ready mixed coolant from Renault, if not then just buy a small bottle from Renault, not mixed if possible, but if it is it might be ok

if not afaik the Halfords coolant is suitable, it says somethin in the manual about Ehtyl Glycol coolants but i cant remember if those are the ones to use, or to avoid

i think it must be suitable though, as ive got the advanced (5year ?) one in mine, and i would have checked it before i put it in

oh an in Halfords they sell a coolant/anti freeze tester for about 99p, id get one of those to check the protection you have

Mini Cooper S JCW

thanx brun.......on way to halfords now :confused:

how serious is an engine running on virtually no coolant, for say about 3-4 weeks!? :cry:

Skoda Fabia vRS

it will be no coolant accordin to the expansion tank mate, but im sure you have still probably got a fair bit in

you should have noticed the temp gauge though !......an keep it above minimum from now on hehe

Mini Cooper S JCW

right back from halfords, got the advanced coolant, which i think brun woz talking about, with 5 year protection. also brought the tester.

so how am i meant do the coolant% and water%? i aint got another container which is say 3ltrs big!!!

some1 gimme a dummies guide to do this please!!!!!!
(engine is cooling down outside at the min)

Thanx, marc

Skoda Fabia vRS

are you flushin it marc or just gonna top it up ?

if your just toppin up then fill it just with coolant up to the Min on the exp tank, unless its takin most of the bottle then u might wanna add a bit of water to it aswell, then run your car for a bit an when its cool enough give it a test, if its fine then you can probably put water in up to Max, if its still not enough protection then just stick more coolant in