ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT HELP!! ABS light

BMW 535d
Hi all,

Just popped out this afternoon and looked at my dash to find out that the 'Abs' and 'SERV' light are on. I then though that the Abs had a fault so slowed to 30mph and braked hard to check and my wheels just locked up. Went staight to a garage and they put it up on a ramp and looked at the Abs rings and they were fine.

Then went to their other unit and had it code checked and it came up saying something like front right wheel rotation. So the garage thought that it was the Abs sensor that had a defect. The mechanic then turned the light off with the code checker and as i pulled out of their unit the light reappeared and the brakes lock up again.

I dont know what code came up unfortunately but does this sound like it is the sensor or is it something else or maybe something more severe.

Let me know asap as i use the car a hell of a lot and cant afford not to have good brakes so to speak.

Cheers
Jake

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It'll be a wheel sensor at fault. Really the person that code read it should've consulted the live data then checked to see if there was any kind of signal from the current setup.

If there was but it was jumpy a straight swap for a new sensor will cure it. If not then a quick check for corrosion at the multiplug should be carried out first to see if this fixes the problem (before replacing the sensor).

Mick

Clio Dynamique Noir
My service light and ABS light have come on as well! Is this most likely to be a sensor and if so is that an expensive job??

182 Cup
Mine does it every now n again since I put a sabelt steering wheel on but mines due to not putting my squib ring on properly, actually don't mind when my abs is off tho tbh, it's an option on the cup that wish sometimes wasn't there

172/1.2/E30
Steering angle sensor is only related to ESP'd cars. If only the ABS and service lights are on, it's most likely to be a problem with the wheel speed sensors. Another common fault is the brake pedal switch but that will also trigger the ESP/TC light on cars equipped with this stuff.