ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upscaling software for PCs?

as the title says :)

Are there any programs kicking about to upscale the DVD image from a standard PC DVD drive?

muchos gracias

oh yeah...free would be good as well!

What I mean is to upscale the image from 480 to 720 lines so I can watch boggo DVDs in (fake)HD on either my monitor or via connecting to my Plasma screen.

If there is a cheap way of doing this then great, if not then I shall just have to wait until the format wars sort themselves out.

McBunny>> I wasn't aware PCs did this? If this was the case then surely all DVDs would look amazing on PCs, Ive certainly vever found this. Im not just talking about stretching the image to a higher res.

upscalling just means stretching lol you cant put extra detail into an image thats not there. but there is software to allow you to get some of the hidden detail out but there arnt that many films that have really good transfers with a high enough bitrate/detail level to fully look like HD

best way to do it is to buy an upscaling dvd player to connect to you hd tv

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Seriously you are wasting your time. your graphics card will "upscale" the dvd for you. You cannot re-create detail that isnt there. If you want real high res you will have to wait for UK HD transmitions or look online...

UR 197, AB 182 FF
I agree. Sadly there is a big misconception about the quality of DVD. And the sad thing is, that DVD quality is actually pretty awful, especially when compared to other formats. I only noticed really recently when I was lucky enough to watch BTTF at the cinema for a special showing and realised how little detail DVD actually has!

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Yes your PC will upscale the image to whatever res you have set your monitor at. What you probably want is a better deinterlacer/decoder. You can check out dscaler (free, not finished but seems quite good), the Nvidia purevideo or ATI decoders. PowerDVD/WinDVD also do a reasonable job.

Most DVDs aren't that great and definitely suffer on larger screens. You can get loads of HD material on alt.binaries.hdtv, you won't want to watch a DVD again :cool: