ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprating 1*2 gearbox

renaultsport clio 182
car is running fine goes through all the gears ok until i give it all its got in 1st then try and get into 2nd it just screams at me and doesnt go into gear till the revs come down, really annoying as i look a tw*t when im at the lights playin around with other cars, i know people have there boxes reconditioned but is there a way to uprate them so it prevnts this problem, also does anyone struggle sometimes going from reverse then going into 1st, have tio take the clutch out again and reselect gear ????

Lionel Richie
the boxes are a bit crap, one rule that most people stick to is don't nail it all the time in first and don't rush the changes

renaultsport clio 182
true but is there anyway of making them better, if not how much can u get these things rebuilt, bareing in mind it is still drivable, so basically replacing the worn parts. cheers

Lionel Richie
no not really, we put a thicker selector fork on 3rd and that's about it, and a rebuild is anywhere from £275 for the basics upto around £450 for eveything (plus vat)

then you have the labour to remove/refit the box

and a new clutch

upto £1k worst case if its really broken

renaultsport clio 182
ah rite think i'll just hang about for another gearbox then lol, like i said its still ok to drive and can still give it some stick through the gears, will take it steady from 1st into 2nd still an animal lol, thanks fred for the sound advice :approve:

Lionel Richie
oh and be careful with second hand boxes, very very very easy to get stung

if i'm installing a second hand box i always suggest they get stripped down and inspected first

renaultsport clio 182
i get ya. there was a brand new one on PH the other week for 450 wish i had the money to get it at the time but needed tyres, everytime i buy summat for it something else needs doing lol, thats the fun in it i guess, thanks again

Maybe a 172 Cup..
thats a renault for ya.

take into accound renault do a gearbox service kit :D

What's in that kit Hutchie? And is it under £1500:rasp:
As already said best thing you can do is not abuse it too much especially from cold. More frequent oil changes as milage creeps up, making sure use genuine synthetic oil.

Clio 172
Whens the last time you changed your gear oil? And what gear oil do you use?

Good, recommended gear oil makes a world of difference:)