ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated / modified exhaust mounts

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you cut and fit in a way that is secure enough then no need for any additional cable ties or sealants.

All depends on bow much, if any, you trim off the powerflex mount

Clio 197
I have been running these mounts for a while and been fine (Milltek exhaust) however we fitted them to my mates 182 who has a RS 192 and this weekend we noticed the rear hangar on the right backbox has snapped clean off. He is going back to standard issue ones with a little silicone which will still allow some movement.

BG FF 182
I have been running these mounts for a while and been fine (Milltek exhaust) however we fitted them to my mates 182 who has a RS 192 and this weekend we noticed the rear hangar on the right backbox has snapped clean off. He is going back to standard issue ones with a little silicone which will still allow some movement.

This makes me want to cancel my Prima mounts order, I also have the RS192, and I don't want any brackets snapping due to the stiff mounts

Last edited:
  Clio 197
This makes me want to cancel my Prima mounts order, I also have the RS192, and I don't want any brackets snapping due to the stiff mounts

Visually the welds on the RS192 dont look as robust as the Milltek ones, he has since had the hangar welded back on with no issues.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Prima racing mounts are very firm for an exhaust tbh i know if fred found out you where using them with a yozza the warranty would become void if damaged occurred, i use the power flex item in the standard mount when the rubber has been cut out, i also drill other holes into the insert as that allows more flex for the exhaust.

same amount of movement as standard really but the poly bush holds its shape much longer than the rubber standard mounts, also i have had them fitted for nearly 2 years now and they are still very good and strong :)

BG FF 182
Was worried the Prima wouldnt align the pipes spot-on, whcih would then require butchering the hole, and wasting me quids

172 Cup
I had two power flex exhaust mounts both snapped with in a week! Had a prima racing one for a month or so now.

Buy cheap buy twice.. Or thrice in my case

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Here's what I did to mine.

null_zps25b5a732.jpg

M2 Comp
I find the standard mounts fine. Yes they don't last forever, but they're hardly expensive and it's a 10 min job to swap them over.

If the exhaust can't flex and causes damage as a result, it would probably be more costly than replacing mounts every so often.

172 Cup
No the power flex polyutherane or which ever polymer it is. Where you drill the centre it snapped after a few miles! I'd take a photo but I threw them in the bin.

Its like once you drill it out there isn't enough meat either side of the hole to support the exhaust.

172 Cup
Craig I had a different style to yours, 006 ones I think mine were? Yours looks far better!

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Craig I had a different style to yours, 006 ones I think mine were? Yours looks far better!

Yeah it's a tight fit in the hole, don't really need the cable ties to hold it in place really. Exhaust isn't solid, still a bit of movement, but much less than the standard one and obviously gonna last longer. It's been holding my KTEC Super-sport on 3 different ph1's now

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The rubber mount will only tear if it has been damaged or weakened during the cutting / drilling of the hole. Otherwise everyone else that has done this mount would suffer the same results as Saul.

172 Cup
Exactly what I forgot to mention Dave! With the second attempt I didn't actually cut it/drill it as i knew any removal of the material seriously weakens it. I tried mounting it the other way so that the hanger was resting on the middle bar of the powerflex mount but it wasn't good and split within one mile.

With other people where it's been successful they have 182's OR lighter Yozza exhausts etc etc? Seems my hefty Ktec combined with the 172 mounting position was too much for it. My prima racing one is doing just fine though!

BG FF 182
in the end I chickened out of the Primas and bought standard Renault hangers. Now the vibrations in the back of the car are twice as bad? I figured the vibrations would be lesser than with the Powerflex bushes as I had fitted, as there would be more movement in the rubber, thus reducing vibrations in the car.

So now I'm not sure whether to fit the Primas or not, would they make the vibrations worse?

BG FF 182
Well it's definitely the exhaust that's vibrating, and I had the garage check the rest of the exhaust system was lined up. They tightened up the Y clamp and said the rest of the system was fine :S

I'd just like to say thanks to the OP for this mod. I've just done mine and its worked a treat.
Used a snazzy red one though..... Surely extra bhp over the yellow ones.

renault clio 182
Ordered mine and got them on Friday started trying too do mine today and the bolts are all rusted rounded and seized can't even get the old hangers off snapped a spanner in the process of trying drenched in wd40 now hopefully that makes a difference fingers crossed :(

Clio 182
My standard ones have broken over the weekend. Just purchased some of these and will try and get it done this week. Worth a try!!

Phew! Finally got the bottom of the 8th page of this thread.

So it seems to be between the Powerflex EXH001 and the EXH008. I prefer the thickness and more robust look of the EXH001. The dimensions of the 2 look quite different though, particularly in width.

Does anyone have the actual dimensions of the hole in the metal hanger?

BG Clio 182
Another vote for the EXH001. Fitted two this afternoon to replace my perished originals. Fit tight in the bracket without the need for trimming and the pre-cut holes were in the right place for the aftermarket (Scorpion) exhaust on my car. Secured both with a couple of cable ties. Has finally cured the persistent squeak that was coming from the old mounts too, which is a major relief.