ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated Alternator - a (probably) stupid question...

I'm considering getting an uprated alternator for the valver as the electrics are 'a bit weak'... lol

But I don't understand where the extra power will go if I don't use it!

If I buy a 100amp alternator rather than the standard 70amp alternator then, assuming I don't use all of the extra 30 amps, where will the rest go? Will it just go back into the battery? What happens if the battery's 'full'? Will it go Bang?!? :S lol

Also, I think the current one is a bit weak and only producing 13.x volts rather than 14.4 volts, so I assume that I will be getting less amps off it and hence not the full 70? Presumably then, if the 100amp one starts to tail off in performance at some point in the future, I'll still be getting more than the 70amps but not the full 100amps?

I don't understaaaaaand! :eek:

Sorry for all the questions :eek:

No. Amps are drawn.

The car will only use what it needs, up to max output.

If the car only needs 20amps, then that's what will be drawn.

13.x is fine tho.. very rarely need uprated alternators unless you have ICE etc.. Renault wouldn't use an alternator which didn't produce the right amount of power for the car.

But my lights are always dimming with the stereo up! lol

Thanks for the reply though - I feel enlightened and daft at the same time. LoL

Just got a quote for getting one fitted - seriously thinking about having a go myself at that price... :dead:

Yea - swine of a job. About 2 hours..

Headlight out
Grill Off
Bonnet off
Wheel off
Splash guard out

Then a 7mm allen key.. beeeeeeatch!

Luckily, I just watched mine be done! :clown:

wtf? Do Renault make it deliberately difficult or what?!? lol

Don't feel so bad about coughing up the cash now if that's what's involved! lol

How much was yours just out of interest?