ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upper gearbox mount after about 5k miles?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Howdie,

I replaced all the mounts on my Ph1 when I got it and it felt good. Since then things have loosened up a bit, did the old "pull the engine mount forward" however now I feel there's way too much movement going on somewhere.

I had a test yesterday by standing outside the car with the bonnet open and letting the clutch out to see what was moving in the bay, and the engine was rocking quite a bit on the gearbox side.

Is it likely that this mount could have perished in a little over 5k miles?

Solid mount is the way to go perhaps.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok - Got as far as undoing the main bolt in the middle. I have managed to shear the rubber part of the mount, and the bolt seems to be just spinning.

Does it unscrew from the actual gearbox? (i.e. if I keep turning eventually the whole thing will pop off?)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So one of the 13mm bolts was loose and I think the bottom nut may have come loose too. I didn't even realise there was a lower nut until doing a bit of searching on here, and whilst undoing the top one the mount twisted and snapped. Woops, couldn't be bothered to wrestle with it to remove the top nut so I bought new bolts, new mount and new nuts, some Loctite (which I got ID'd for...) and have put everything back together.

Car is much better, back to knocking the top engine mount now though but that's not a problem and you can only hear it when coming on and off the throttle sharply.