ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upper cambelt cover replacement

RB 182
When changing my top engine mount, i found the bolt closest to windscreen out of the 3 that goes through the top mount that attaches to the engine and attaches to the upper cambelt cover has taken the thread off the bolt hole. i think someone has torqued this up too much in the past and stripped it. so ATM there are only 2 bolts holding the engine this side rather than the 3.

my question is how easy is this to remove and replace with a new item? as it looks very tight for space

dan's cast offs.
easy job, looks a lot harder than it is. just a bit time consuming for the sake of changing a cover. ideal time to replace aux belt if it's due as well.

try running a tap down the hole, you might be lucky and get away with slightly longer bolt.

RB 182
whats involved in the process. ? ive had the mounts off before. just a case of jacking engine up? how many bolts holding it in?

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Think it's five bolts; two lower, two middle and one at the top. I have the same issue with one on standby once I bolt my turbo on.

But yeah, jack the engine up, take the top cover/mount off, then undo the bolts and replace.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
No it's three bolts on the top cover. Mine did that and a helicoil didn't work (tried it twice!). Get a replacement cover from a scrap yard (the part with the three tapped holes!). I have a spare knackered engine for stuff like this and it comes in real handy.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
No it's three bolts on the top cover. Mine did that and a helicoil didn't work (tried it twice!). Get a replacement cover from a scrap yard (the part with the three tapped holes!). I have a spare knackered engine for stuff like this and it comes in real handy.
Haha I meant the whole part, but yeh it has three threaded to hold the top mount on.

RB 182
tried this a while ago now.
couldnt get the second lower middle bolt undone. could get a decent size socket and ratchet on it and because of the way it sits could get a spanner round it.
Just wondering how people get to that lower bolt?