ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading to better cams... info/reviews needed.

Italian 3.2 V6
what to look for (what means what)? which ones are best to go for!? what is involved in fitting them (costs etc) !?

finally.. what type of gains are people getting from these (8-12bhp?) and what other mods do you have to compliment the cams..

just thinking on them atm.. as i dont want to spend loads on a N/A engine. got the info i need on inlets and remap.. just need info on the cams now ;)

currently i have (bhp wise)
-ktec pannel filter
-ktec zorst system

plan to get over winter.
-cams
-matched inlets
-custom map

cheers,

172 cup
depending on what cams you go for then all that listed there should take you to 190-195 beans catcmas 428s from kam racing are £560 including vat then a cambelt kit from renault is around £150 fitting price depends on where you take your car then a remap from paul at rs tuning is £340 including vat

Matty

Italian 3.2 V6
i would be happy with 190 :)

which ones are best.. and how/what makes them better? what do the figures mean? the higher the better or lower figures the better?

do yo need a new cambelt? as i only had mine done 10k ago :(

cheers.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Think it just makes sense to do the cambelt with them as it all has to come off.

Dan

RS RIP
i would be happy with 190 :)

which ones are best.. and how/what makes them better? what do the figures mean? the higher the better or lower figures the better?

do yo need a new cambelt? as i only had mine done 10k ago :(

cheers.

bummer ! should have thought of this mod-plan before and done them all at the same time

so i have started reading into throttle bodies (got an eye for ktecs kit) i didnt relise you could fit them to a total standard 1*2.. so instead of blasting the same amount of money on cams n inlets etc etc i might aswell spend it wisely on ITBs due to the fact i would end up with more bhp from fitting them than going with cams etc..

Just quoting what youve said before. Id wait until Jamsport release the price of the TB kit they are currently testing, before you spend near £1300 on cams and a remap/fitting etc.

What power are you running now?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Just quoting what youve said before. Id wait until Jamsport release the price of the TB kit they are currently testing, before you spend near £1300 on cams and a remap/fitting etc.

What power are you running now?

+1. interested to find out what their price is going to be.

would it not make sense to have the cams done at same time as the TB kit though?

Ph1
IMO / experience, far better spending a large amount on a decent gain than spending a moderate amount for few horses here and there if your going to mod these.

I did think about getting just cams as my next mod, but when i looked into power for money, IMO it wasnt going to be brilliant really.

I probably should of got cams aswell as bodies, but ill see what its like when i get it back :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I did think about getting just cams as my next mod, but when i looked into power for money, IMO it wasnt going to be brilliant really.

I probably should of got cams aswell as bodies, but ill see what its like when i get it back :)

you'll probably want them after it's done!

p4ers - catcam 428's seem to be most popular choice on here or shricks - but they're pricey i think.

Ph1

Cams are good and do make a good difference but the games moved on and then some.

TB's with cams and your going to be at what? 240 the limit for roughly 3.5k (guess)

Supercharger conversion isnt much more with potential for 400 bhp!

Same with the turbo conversion. Masses of potential bhp wise.

Saxo Vts, Clio 182
Just had 428's fitted at k-tec, top job imo. I also have a k-tec exhaust and itg panel filter, had new vvt pulley fitted aswell. Car runs really well, pulling really hard from around 5k rpm right to the limiter. Not a huge differnce in power but definately a nice improvement.

260bhp is ok. But 400 bhp is a little to much i think.

Yes i have, used to own one, and have driven things with that much power. I just didnt feel it the same as something with around 200-250bhp maybe.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
driven one?

I'd got used to the supercharged ph1 with 260bhp in about 30 minutes. Epicly fast but it copes perfectly.

having never been in/driven something that light with that power, what does it feel like compared to a standard 172?

ITB'd MK1
See this is where the subtlety of the supercharger comes in. The 260bhp 172 with a rotrex felt faster and easier to drive than a 280bhp turbo 172. It's not all about the peak numbers, and the torque curve is very important.

See this is where the subtlety of the supercharger comes in. The 260bhp 172 with a rotrex felt faster and easier to drive than a 280bhp turbo 172. It's not all about the peak numbers, and the torque curve is very important.

I think i need to drive one, or be driven in one, to understand, im used to turbos really. So it would be interesting to see the difference :)

Ph1
Its just outright hard acceleration. Like every gear pulls like 1st. (never driven one but been taken a spin)
Like Danny says folk get caught up in peak figures.

ITB'd MK1
I think i need to drive one, or be driven in one, to understand, im used to turbos really. So it would be interesting to see the difference :)

Turbos tend to give a huge torque kick quite early. Can "feel" fast, but it's more likely to spin the wheels. You wont see nearly the peak torque with a Rotrex, but the delivery is very linear and makes for a very quick car

Italian 3.2 V6
Back onto subject.. Something like turbo or charger is going to cost minimum £3.2k fitted.. I don't want to spend that on my 172 which I bought for 3.6k LOL!! Itb's fitted cost basicly the same 2.8K which would give me 190-205 bhp

Cams and inlets fitted with custome remap will come to around 1.5k max fitted I hope and I should see 190bhp with this.. I can live with spending 1.5k but not minimum 2.8k LOL.. I rather put the extra 1.3k to my insurance n tax of next year and I have a more than fine / quick running 172 :) which is currently weighing in at 1040kg and if I can find some cheap lightweight buckets to make it as near to a ton the better ;)

ClioSport 172 Cup
Would cams take me to 200bhp?
So far all i`ve had done are espace round box with ITG element, stainless steel catback system and rstuner.
Not sure what to do at the mo, i don`t want to spend silly money...although i do dream of having an ITB kit or turbo charger. lol. Sometimes though when i look at the prices of turbo charging for example, for a little extra i could pick up a R33/GTR33 Skyline or something similar! Thats what puts me off.

Italian 3.2 V6
and everything i need for them is in the kit kamracing do..?

just buy it n get it fitted, simple as..?

Saxo Vts, Clio 182
and everything i need for them is in the kit kamracing do..?

just buy it n get it fitted, simple as..?

Yup, youl will need a new cambelt kit aswell, got mine from eurocarparts.com i think ,might need a new vvt pulley and switch aswell as mine packed up as soon as it saw the cams.
I had 428's fitted to a totally standard car so yea, just buy, get fitted and mapped...simple as.

ITB'd MK1
No. You'd need ITB's as well to be guarantee'd 200 area.

ITBs alone would be around 200. but again, dont get hung up on the numbers. You can see 200bhp without ITBs, but you'll make a LOT more torque in the midrange, a significant amount at peak, and generally more EVERYWHERE with them.