ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading stock Speakers/Audio

Clio Mk3 TomTom
I am after some advice and also would like some questions answered re. upgrading the sound system in my Clio Dynamique TomTom (86) 2010.
The sound quality is pretty terrible and bass is non-existant as things stand.....

Please forgive my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to this, I have never so much as changed a speaker in my life so you may have to respond as if talking to a child!

So, where would be best to start? I guess I'm after the biggest improvement from the least amount of work and cash spent. My car has a 'Radiosat' head unit that uses the built in TomTom screen as its display, and I have controls on the steering wheel also.

I am open to the idea of replacing the stock speakers, adding an amp/sub if needed, replacing the head unit if I must, or anything else that may be required to get the best 'bang for my buck'. I just have absolutely no clue where to start!

Will just replacing the stock speakers improve audio quality much by itself?

Does my stock head unit have the right connections to connect an Amplifier and is one even required? If I do have to replace the head unit, will it mess with my SatNav and/or the steering wheel controls (I really wouldn't want to lose those steering wheel controls).

Sorry in advance if any/all of this is painfully obvious to you, but I have spent hours and hours trying to find some clear answers and have just managed to confuse myself further.

Any responses/suggestions will be greatly received, thanks in advance!

Listerine & Poledo
Change head unit
add small subwoofer
done.

Stock speakers are actually alright, just rubbish fore bass. take the bass out of the equation and they'll be fine

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Change head unit
add small subwoofer
done.

Stock speakers are actually alright, just rubbish fore bass. take the bass out of the equation and they'll be fine
I agree with all of that except I would swap small with big :p I would be putting a least a 400w 12inch with appropriate mosfet monoblock amp.

Listerine & Poledo
No sense in a massive sub if you're only using stock speakers and HU power, it would overpower everything.
And stock speakers aren't overly happy with amping.

Depends on how much chav-boom the OP wants really.

As for head unit. Get a decent Alpine and the right lead (might be the wrong link there)

Listerine & Poledo
As for sub.... maybe one of THESE.
Not big enough to take up ALL your boot, but enough power to balance against head-unit output, or upgraded HU output, if you were to also get one of THESE

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No sense in a massive sub if you're only using stock speakers and HU power, it would overpower everything.
And stock speakers aren't overly happy with amping.

Depends on how much chav-boom the OP wants really.

As for head unit. Get a decent Alpine and the right lead (might be the wrong link there)
I'll agree to disagree to a degree as I have replaced the front oe plastic speakers for some aftermarket ones. However, I run my door speakers off my pioneer head unit and my Pioneer TS-W3004SPL via mutant competion 1500rms monoblock and my comps stand up just fine ;)

Listerine & Poledo
That's one way to spend your money, yes. But not what I'm suggesting at all.
You're using amp power to non-stock speakers
I'm saying use HU-power to stock speakers, which unless OP wants to LOTS OF BOOMZ!!!!! (ie, they just want it to be decent quality) is perfectly sufficient.

My concern is about how to connect aftermarket stereo to TomTom-equipped car, as I'm not sure how that all wires together

Clio Mk3 TomTom
Thanks so much for all the replies, already feel so much better about the whole idea :D I will likely go ahead and change the HU and add a Sub as suggested, I just really hope it plays well with TomTom and Stalk controls!

Once again, thanks guys :)

Listerine & Poledo
good luck fella.

if there's a proper ICE shop near you, it may be worth asking them for help regarding TomTom etc.

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah, that would do it.
But you do need the right leads to mate stereo-to-vehicle, they don't come with the stereo because there are so many different types of possible leas

Clio Mk3 TomTom
I understand, thanks again pal.
Going with that HU and the Sub you linked earlier, hoping that will be enough for my needs :D

I believe the TOMTOM to run off of the Head unit so changing the headunit will stop the Satnav working.
Could be wrong but was pretty sure that was the case?

Blooooming heck, that's a bit much for what it is really. I wouldn't even be confident that they have left enough room behind for that to fit!
Guess ill keep the original headunit.
Could you give me some advice on how to get the best set up using the original headunit?
ATM i have standard speakers in the front with some cheap Fli aftermarket ones from halfords in the back. I have an amp and sub in the boot which is running off the rear speakers cables behind the headunit.
Any advice would be much appreciated

Listerine & Poledo
You've pretty much done all you can.
The main sticking point for ICE in CLios is the headunit :(

Well i was thinking about upgrading the front speakers with aftermarket components? wasnt sure what to go for though as they would be powered by the standard headunit which i couldnt imagine gives much output. Then amping the back speakers or something?

What would you reckon?

Listerine & Poledo
The OEM speakers in Clios are actually pretty decent. Unless you're going to try and be a pro-competition-db-ICE-Boomz competitor then they're not worth changing.

My normal suggestion would be to fit a small sub (probably run from the rear speaker leads, hence losing the rear speakers altogether) and leave it at that.