ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading my trophy

trophy clio 424/500
hiya i am used to the speed of my trophy now needs to be quicker! i have about 2500k to spend on bits. help me out someones its totally standard atm

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Passh! 4 pots and your done!... Xenon's too if you've got change...1/2 leather rear bench! lol If your feeling tarty!

172cup
I would look at a custom exhaust £500, inlet manifold job £140, panel filter with samco and a remap. That should be a £1000.

Otherwise buy a different car! Honestly, the clio engine is very tight and only way to maximise engine mods would be to strip car of excess weight.

Personally i'd leave it alone & put the money towards something that is faster out of the box. Or get a cup packed 182 & mess with that instead.

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Personally i'd leave it alone & put the money towards something that is faster out of the box. Or get a cup packed 182 & mess with that instead.

+1

Don't mess with a Trophy and depreciate it!

If you don't want another car, do: discs, pads, braided lines & fluid. Buy a spare set of wheels and a set of R888s and get some track time done - with tuition. You'll go quicker in your 'standard' Trophy then than you would if you were running ITBs and Cams.

Fact.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
get rid of those gash seats, strip it, sort the ride height, exhaust, brakes

done

Lay off the crack pipe hoppers! Seats are cracking, Suspensions is great...

If your going to do the above buy a 172 cup for 3k.

Lionel Richie
seats are the most over rated, bigged up by the forums, overpricedpayingforthename tat ever

loads of much better seats about

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
seats are the most over rated, bigged up by the forums, overpricedpayingforthename tat ever

POOF! Catagoric POOF! It's a road car than can be used on track at the flick of an ESP switch! lol. Not a hardcore Track racer. hence the balance of Comfort and track!

So s**t they used them in the Evo's & honda's! ;) I've got buckets and i know what there like after a 200mile drive!

Lionel Richie
and you call me a poof!

he wants to upgrade his trophy - ie replace all the gash bits with good bits aka turn it into a proper machine

you fall out of those seats if you try hard enough! and less than 10mm lower than the stock OE seat to keep type approval, way to high driving position, evos and hondas bothered to mount them low enough for a good driving position, ie they started out with those seats from day one and type approval wasn't an issue

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
the driving position is still pisch even if your sitting on the floor!! Design fail!

Trophy is the best of the std 172/182's.

Trophy #490
Fred - Trendlines are brilliant! Supportive, comfy, look great, what more do you want!? Ok, they aren't gonna be as supportive as Pole Positions or deeper bucket seats like that but as a compromise between road and track, I think they are very good.

An Orbisoud exhaust is a must IMO. Best exhaust available, it'll cost you, but it'll be worth it. Then sort the brakes out and leave it be. No need to change anything other than the exhaust and the brakes on the Trophy really, it's brilliant as it is! :approve:

Trophy #490
To be honest I've never had a problem with the driving position, I'm 5 '10' ish so it's about right for me, but everyone else does seem to comment on it. Didn't the addition of Trendlines reduce the height by 10mm over the normal seats? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere. Granted it won't make a huge difference, but it is slightly lower and better!

172cup
Aye dont spend a penny on the car spend it on tuition. A guy who owned a Trophy took me round the ring in his and he could drive. Pretty much one of the fastest cars out there, but in standard form bar an exhaust.

ITB'd 182...
A tutor'd Track day! And slight upgrade on the brakes

Will make you see what the car is realy capable off!

Tav

Clio 197
I wouldn't go near the suspension that's for sure! In fact depending on the differences in weight between standard single piston calipers and 4 pots you could run the risk of upsetting the damping...perhaps only an issue if fitting bigger disks as well, keeping standard disks + new calipers would prob. be OK weight wise. There is no doubting that the standard items do feel a little wooden at times...lines/new pads could be a shout along with some new fluid. Renault disks and some DS2500's or the likes.

Why is an orbisound so good, other than it costs 2-3 times as much as other exhausts? I doubt it's going to bring huge power increases? I wonder why other manufacturers haven't 'copied' their single back box design, it'd prob. save a wee bit of weight? Does anyone know the weights of the standard exhaust vs. various aftermarket items?

Matched inlets seem like a good shout, sorting out a problem that shouldn't be there. I'd prob. be tempted to do that followed by the Morego 202 upgrades (although not necceserily bought from them) i.e exhaust, filter and remap...I wouldn't bother with the cams.

You've got to be careful when modifying a car like a Trophy. The reason it is so highly reveered is that in standard form it is brilliant...swapping the seats, changing the suspension (epic fail!), fitting 'better' tyres and a loud exhaust are really only going to ruin it! Renault Sport didn't spend 1000 of miles testing the car and making improvements when they could have nipped down to demon tweeks and slapped on some coilovers.

The idea of getting tutored track time is good, I've been driving my car since November, think I am reasonably competent behind the wheel and I am NO where near using everything that's available...haven't been to a track for a start.

Service then a uk/european driving holiday? Could be a shout....

Might be worth treating it to a professional detail as well, just to keep it looking it's best! Lots you can do with £2.5k

Cayman S Edition 1
Last year I had the K-tec remap done along with K-tec supersports exhaust and ITG panel filter. made a nice difference to torque (10ft/lbs more) in the mid range.

This weekend fitted brembo HC discs, DS Performance Pads and K-tec braided lines.

Nice subtle improvements IMO.

Next I'm looking at a Maxogen and Inlets.

its all down to preference and whether you want more bhp than the rest or just a better driving experience. Don't get caught up int he numbers as you'll spend your life savings;)

agreed they are seriously overpriced, numpties buying them for £800 lol.

£800 POUNDS I MEAN WTF??

Clio 182 Trophy
The brakes should be the first things to upgrade. Brembo max grooved disks, Pagid blue pads, braided lines and dot 4 fluid will be a very good move. no need to get 4 pots unless you are turning it into a track focused car.

I have made a few changes to the handling department. First of all I got the front dampers serviced and this totally changed the car, then I fitted Koni rear adjustables and had the geometry setup with more -ve camber using camber bolts. The Trophy handles like a dream now. I did fit stm's but they were too harsh for road use !

The best way to get more performance from the engine imo is to install ITB's. Im just going to fit an IK, matched inlets, then get it custom mapped, I already have an exhaust.Personally im not interested in making it faster in a straight line, I prefer going fast round the twisties !

Super-2000 Type inlet manifold and a map. Should see you with a very healthy increase over standard. Then some decent pads and track tuition. Don't really need much more than that TBH!

Cheers
M

Astra van,Mk1 nova
New seats for a start! Big ugly things that they are! semi strip rear, good airbox, matched inlets, decat, ys exhaust, map and maybe a cage if your feeling like a man.